How to delete Windows\SystemApps Cortana folders?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, Feb 5, 2016.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Every time I run SFC ScanNow, Cortana process re-appears. The only way I know how to safely prevent it from working is by trying to rename it to whatever new name, at which point Windows tells me that renaming is not possible and shows me "Try Again" button, then opening Task Manager, select Cortana, and pressing Delete, followed by immediate pressing of "Try Again" button. Then Cortana doesn't come back! The problem is that those renamed Cortana folders still cannot be deleted and I've already got 8 of them, now taking over 1GB of space!

How do I get rid of them for good? I am only going to leave one (the latest one) in case some kind of problems related to Cortana arise.

2. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    for me at the same time i kill the cortana process, when it unload from memory, i rename the app folder to an other name ... and voila since it wont reload into memory, you can delete this folder. You have to be quick, cortana reload itself pretty quick ...

3. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #3 lobo11, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Before you do anything else see if it can be fixed:
    In ADMIN Cmd Prompt Type

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

When you use the /CheckHealth argument, the DISM tool will report whether the image is healthy, repairable, or non-repairable. If the image is non-repairable, you should discard the image and start again.
    I know your not going to use Ccleaner,jk, lol:worthy:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    #4 thorin0815, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. as9j0das90d

as9j0das90d MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2015
    #5 as9j0das90d, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    my personal tweak to get rid of cortana
    this by far my favorite way of disabling cortana
    run .bat as administrator

--DISABLE
    Code:
    for /d %%a in (%programdata%\microsoft\windows\apprepository\packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_*) do (
      cd %%a
      takeown /f *.pckgdep
      icacls *.pckgdep /reset
      icacls *.pckgdep /inheritance:r
    )
    taskkill /f /im SearchUI.exe 2>nul
    timeout -1

--ENABLE
    Code:
    for /d %%a in (%programdata%\microsoft\windows\apprepository\packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_*) do (
      cd %%a
      takeown /f *.pckgdep
      icacls *.pckgdep /reset
    )
    timeout -1