How to detect Windows Server SLIC/SLP version?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by aaronouthier, Jan 16, 2019.

1. aaronouthier

aaronouthier MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    Hello,
    So, a few years ago, a friend of mine was getting rid of an old server, which I snapped up for home use, and for learning about servers. When I got it from my friend, I'm pretty sure it had some version of Windows Server 2008. I'm about to give it to a non-profit for use in a classroom/learning center. Alas, I had long since put Ubuntu Server on it and wiped the original OS. The new potential owner wants the original Windows Server installed.

My question is two-fold:
    1. How can I find out if there is a SLIC/SLP thingie embedded in the BIOS, and if so, for what versions of Windows it will work.

and

2. Will the $OEM$ folder I use for Windows 7/8/8.1 to preactivate work the same way with Server 2008.

I THINK it had 2008 SBS installed when I got it, but I don't recall for certain, and I have no clue whether it was Retail or OEM. There is no COA on the outside of the Machine.

On a semi-related topic, does any version of 2008 Server have the required software and/or licenses included to work with Thin Clients via Remote Desktop? I have 3 HP t5730 clients, I believe, which run XP embedded. I could be off on the model number.

2. RobrPatty

RobrPatty MDL Expert

Jul 23, 2009
    If you have SLIC 2.4 it will work with any windows server accept 2019.

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You can run the QT from here on MDL, and it will give you good info on the hardware and slic/msdm/activations. The GUI output will show the keys, the saved report doesn't, making it handy to post, when needed.

4. aaronouthier

aaronouthier MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    That's generally good info, except that I don't have any Windows installed currently. I'll won't know which version to install, until I can extract the SLIC.
    I do have a Windows 10 PE-based bootable flash drive, and a copy of RW-Everything portable. I also have various linux boot USB sticks.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    If you have the needed tools and the knowledge on how to use them, why ask?

6. aaronouthier

aaronouthier MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    I only have the tools, knowing exactly how to use them is something else entirely.

7. aaronouthier

aaronouthier MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    I've poked around in RW Everything a time or two, and seen some items that look similar to the AIDA tool mentioned, but didn't know enough about that at which I was looking. I have acquired and have used an older version of the OEM Query tool, and the Multi-OEM Project. I'll be getting the Server out of Storage on Saturday.

8. aaronouthier

aaronouthier MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    I didn't post that screenshot. I don't know what SLIC version I have just yet. The machine is a Dell Tower Server. I do not recall the model number off the top of my head.

9. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Try to get that combo running. In RWE press the 'ACPI' button (in the middle of the button row), then check the ACPI tables for a 'SLIC' tab and click that, it should show the version.

v2.0 = Windows Vista/Server 2008
    v2.1 = Windows 7/Server 2008 R2

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. aaronouthier

aaronouthier MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    Ok, then that just leaves the edition of Server that I can install from a matching SLIC. On Desktop OS', you can interchange them. eg: A machine that came with 7 Home Premium can be reinstalled with 7 Pro or 7 Ultimate instead. It would make sense that server OS' are the same way, but I don't like to assume such things.

For example, are Small Business Server and Server Essentials working with an onboard SLIC? I'm certain I can find out with trial and error, but if I can have a USB drive prepared before hand, that would be a big time saver.