How to disable automatic login of last user?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by johnye_pt, Feb 26, 2017.

1. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    #1 johnye_pt, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Use passwords and everything is OK.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    That will work! And so will changing to Windows XP or 7! Although that doesn't answer the question, does it? :D

4. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    I'm using the "know method" to disable automatic login of last user and its works on Windos 10 Pro. Open a command prompt and enter/run netplwiz
    and make sure the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" has a check mark. If not put a check mark in the box and hit apply. I have this setting but when configuring the user accounts, I skipped entering the password. Executing secpol.msc, make sure that "Don't display last login user name" is disabled.

5. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Open a command prompt and type netplwiz, press enter on keyboard or in run box type netplwiz, click OK, follow above instructions. :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    #6 johnye_pt, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    (OP)
    Thanks for the info, I've already returned the computer to its rightful owner but I'm pretty sure he'll be back to fine tune a thing or two. I'll test your suggestion in a virtual machine and then apply it to his computer too when he brings it back for round 2 :)

edit: spellcheck ;)

7. v72dd

v72dd MDL Senior Member

Nov 20, 2016
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    "DisableAutomaticRestartSignOn"=dword:00000001

8. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Or open the old known default login screen by disabling remember/display last login username. (By default it is enabled.)
    Tested and works. It is on the same place, ie on all users system policy.

9. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    - Ran netplwiz, "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" was already checked by default;
    - Ran secpol.msc, "Don't display last login user name" was already disabled by default.

Added the value and restarted twice, it still logged on automatically to last used account.

Isn't that the same as rpo's suggestion? Enabling it requires to enter the account name, but I want to see a list of the accounts, without passwords and without automatic login of last account used, just like it was in XP. For what it seems, latest updates disabled all known workarounds. This idea of continuously removing Windows 10 features and breaking previously working tweaks is making Windows 10 less and less appealing...

10. v72dd

v72dd MDL Senior Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Use this then.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    "DontDisplayLastUsername"=dword:00000001
    "DontDisplayLockedUserId"=dword:00000003

11. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    "DontDisplayLastUsername" hides the account's list and requires to type the account name (not newbie friendly), "DontDisplayLockedUserId" does nothing if the previous value is not set. I think there's no way to accomplish what I want without using passwords, but my friend said he didn't want to use them because of his mother. Oh well, at least she knows how to logoff and logon if Windows boots into the wrong account.