How to disable Automatic Monitor Detection in Windows 8.1?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Super Spartan, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    is anybody home?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    In the installation progress of windows 8.1, you can choose automatically install important update and not "important and recommend".
    I think it will help.

4. orbidia

orbidia MDL Junior Member

Feb 22, 2010
    I have a similar problem.

If you find out how to do this again, please post back here with the registry setting.

5. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    This has nothing to do with what I am asking. im talking about automatic monitor detection not automatic updates :rolleyes:

6. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    I don't have a Windows 8 system at the moment, can someone try one of the below methods and tell me which one works:

1)

To disable monitor detection, with AMD/ATI gfx cards under Windows 7, search for DMMEnableDDCPolling registry key and set it to 0 (it is DWord). There are several places in the registry where this key is located. Change them all and reboot. Doing this will disable constant polling of the display driver to detect if user attached a monitor.
    If you lack the entry, look for UMD keys under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\ and add it to those.

2)
    down vote Add this reg entry by typing in regedit into the start search bar and hitting enter: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\TMM] "UseIViewHelper"=dword:00000000 @="0" ==========================================================================

7. Dave101

Dave101 MDL Junior Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Rather than trying a registry fix, have u gone to the manufacture website and downloaded the latest drives for both the GFX/ and sound ?

8. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Yes, no updates from Acer, I have the latest BIOS and graphics drivers from them. I also tried the latest Intel HD Graphics from Intel but it didn't change a thing.

Now the laptop doesn't do this auto detect thing which changes the resolution but still, I forgot what I did to fix it, it was my mom's computer so I don't even have it to test. That's why I'm asking if anyone is facing the same issue, at least you could try one of those reg tweaks to see if it does work with Windows 8 then you can delete it afterwards