How to disable integrated Graphics in advanced Menu

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Yugo, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Yugo

Yugo MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2013
    #1 Yugo, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    Hello everybody.

I have a HP Pavilion DV6-6B55SG.
    It has two Graphic cards. A integrated Intel HD 3000 and a AMD Raedon 6770M.
    In the Bios I can just set the Graphics on fixed or dynamic.
    But I run Mountain Lion on it and it always uses the Intel HD 3000, so i wanted to disable it in the Bios in order to use just the 6770M.
    I can enter the advanced Menu (Insyde20 Version:F.19) with F10+A.
    Can you tell wich settings I need to change in order to use just the Raedon 6770M?

What I tried was to set "internal graphics device" on disable, but after rebooting I just had a blackscreen and needed to do a hard reset.

He are the screens of the Bios settings:
    www10.pic-upload.de/upload/22.01.13/o3n1m73fwpb.jpg
    www7.pic-upload.de/22.01.13/rrii1ix2a6rl.jpg
    www10.pic-upload.de/22.01.13/msnsz4fs29gi.jpg
    www7.pic-upload.de/22.01.13/ezbipvxmq2vr.jpg

Thank you for every help :)

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    in chameleon
    npci=0x2000 npci=0x3000 or replace 0x3000 with 0x1000

3. Yugo

Yugo MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2013
    #3 Yugo, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Hello LatinMcG and thank you really much for your answer.

My org.chameleon.Boot.plist looks like this:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GenerateCStates</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GeneratePStates</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Instant Menu</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Legacy Logo</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Theme</key>
    <string>LoginToLion</string>
    <key>UseKernelCache</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>busratio</key>
    <string>22</string>
    </dict>
    </plist>

Should I add npci=0x2000 or npci=0x3000 or both?

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    u can try it without modifying the file. in the boot screen
    -v npci=0x2000 try that first.

5. Yugo

Yugo MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2013
    Thank you LatinMcG.

I tried all -v npci=0x2000 and -v npci=0x3000 and -v npci=0x1000
    It always looks like this:
    www7.pic-upload.de/21.01.13/vq3nc79j8fi2.png

There were a lot of threads and discussions about it on all the hackintosh formus and no one found a solution and just said, there is no solution until you can disable the integrated graphic card in the Bios. Now I found the advanced Menu, but I don't know what settings I should change.
    But you are the Pro, I do what you say :)

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i dont deal much with dual video laptop issues.. i have a desktop and had old inspiron 1520 nvidia with shutdown bug.

checkout clover bootloader. that might be able to do something.

u can possibly disable in dsdt.

7. Yugo

Yugo MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2013
    I am not the Hackintosh pro and I'm not good with DSDT and wouldn't change the bootloader because it's now working and I'm afraid it will not if I change something.

But if we think logically, when I disable the integrated Intel HD 3000 in the Bios, my operating system cannot use it anymore and has to use the 6770M instead.
    But always, when I disable the internal graphics device (www10.pic-upload.de/22.01.13/msnsz4fs29gi.jpg)
    and then restart I get a black screen.

What should I put on Primary Display (PCI,SG(Switchable Graphics),PEG(PCI Express Graphics),Auto)

I already tried Primary Display on Auto and disabled the internal Graphics device but got again the blackscreen.

Here are all screens:
    www10.pic-upload.de/upload/22.01.13/o3n1m73fwpb.jpg
    www7.pic-upload.de/22.01.13/rrii1ix2a6rl.jpg
    www10.pic-upload.de/22.01.13/msnsz4fs29gi.jpg
    www7.pic-upload.de/22.01.13/ezbipvxmq2vr.jpg

Thank you :)

8. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    The thing with the dual-GPU laptops (I have an HP Pavilion dm4 with dual-GPU as well) is that you can't use only the ATi Radeon card, even though HP says so.
    Laptop uses Intel GPU while on battery and uses ATi Radeon only when needed for heavy 3D stuff (games & stuff) even while plugged in. Unless, there's a hack in the OS X system to "force" the use of ATi Radeon (but I doubt that...)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Yugo

Yugo MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2013
    Hello Socrate_MMXXII :)

Thank you for your answer even though it makes me sad :(
    I was so happy, when I figured out how to enter the advanced menu, and thought I could finally use my HD6770M.
    But okay, thank you guys :)

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try pci-e only as thats the ati.

remove intelhd3xx kexts in osx

extract dsdt with dsdt editor and post it. ill try to disable video in dsdt.

11. Yugo

Yugo MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2013
    #11 Yugo, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    (OP)
    OH NO! :(
    I put primary Display to PEG and Internal Graphics Device from Auto to Enabled because on Auto + PEG I got a Blackscreen.
    Now i pressed F10 to save and restart. Then it restarted, after 3 seconds it again restarted, after 3 seconds it again restarted and then I pulled out the cord, it again restarted and then i pulled out the Battery.
    I waited, and put the cord in and restarted, I got a blackscreen but I noticed a difference. I pressed F10 the whole time and it didnt gave me any peeptone, as usual. And i heard that the fan tries to blow..2 seconds then stops and tries again.
    So I pulled out the RTC Battery, and put it after 5 Minutes back and restarted. But this time I did not get a CMOS checksum error. :(
    I did even start without the RTC Battery, but still the same.

I worked 3 years to buy this laptop and everything is on it.
    Is it destroyed? Can a Bios setting destroy it?
    Please tell me that it can't :/
    I think I have still guarantee its a half year old. But what do I tell them?

Please help me :worthy:

12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  13. Yugo

Yugo MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2013
    Hello LatinMcG. I would thank you from the bottom of my heart, if we can fix this :)
    But I forgot to mention a detail. All LED's are working on my notebook, but if I plug in a keyboard or my phone, nothing would happen. No LED would light up on the keyboard and my phone won't charge. Is this okay and can we still fix it? Because I'm afraid our prepared USB stick won't work.

14. Yugo

Yugo MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2013
    #14 Yugo, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    (OP)
    Hello LatinMcG.
    I downloaded the sp57924. Formated my Stick to FAT32. And installed EFI USB environment.
    I put your files in BIOS/Current and BIOS/New.
    Then I put out my battery, hdd, dvd drive and left just 2GB of RAM.
    I inserted the cord. Then my usb in a usb 2.0 slot(also tried 3.0) hold WIN+B and pressed the power button. But nothing happend it was everything like before. But I noticed when i pushed the power button the LED of my usb stick shined, but just for 3 seconds. Than it turned off. How can this be? Why does it not get electricity?
    There are two files for EFI environment on the driver page for my notebook.

sp60202.exe and sp59907.exe

I tried it also with sp60202.exe but again the same.
    What could it be? Do I have to hold Win+B all the time? Will there be something on the screen or should I hold it, although it is a blackscreen.
    I also tried Fn+Esc and Win+B+LeftArrow+DownArrow+RightArrow

Please help me I need it for collage :/

Edit:
    Update: I tried it with a 1GB USB and the 16GB Stick I also tried two older Bios versions. No luck.
    Sometimes when my Notebook starts and I release Win+B I hear the fan working, but it stops after 4 Seconds. And then I can just hear the fan quietly for a second and then pause for 15 seconds and then again one second it seems the fan tries to start but breaks and again pause for 15seconds. I also left the Laptop on for 8minutes and nothing hapenend. Just a blackscreen and the cpus trying to start quietly.

15. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  16. Yugo

Yugo MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2013
    #16 Yugo, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    (OP)
    Hello LatinMcG :(

I tried it again. I unplugged the RTC battery for 15minutes and pluged it back. Installed EFI environment with sp57924.exe, renamed the files and put them in Current, New, Previous.
    But again nothing. I tried also vga and hdmi with my monitor.
    Just the fan who works for a second then stops 10 seconds and works again 1 second and this on and on and on.
    Is the hardware broken?
    Why won't it give me any peep tone.. And when the notebook works over the cord, I can plug in a usb stick, the led lights for 3 seconds and then stops. I can unplug it and plug it in, it will again light for 3 seconds and then stop..
    How can such a thing happen....I just put Internal Graphics Device from Auto to Enable and Primary Display to PEG...
    Is there maybe a jumper i could set or any other way?

I'm so frustrated :/