How to disable metro ui (Windows 8 CP)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by slayermbm, Feb 29, 2012.

1. slayermbm

slayermbm MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2011
    Read the title.

It was possible in Windows 8 DP, but there's no more "RPEnabled" option on REGEDIT.

I hope there is another way or somebody release a tool to do it, because I really dislike it.

Thanks.

2. cipacipacipa

cipacipacipa MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    #2 cipacipacipa, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
    Right, and adding the string manually doesn't change a thing. There is also no "shsxs.dll" file in Windows\Sytem32\ any more to rename or delete. And the "Force classic Start Menu" option in the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) only works for Vista (and earlier), but doesn't do a thing on 8.

For me it's quite simple: either MS decides to bring back the ability to COMPLETELY disable this ugly and monstrous Metro lego bollocks in RTM, somebody comes up with a workaround/hack, or I'm never gonna take another look at this "OS" again.

That's my last warning, MS! I'd much rather die, or even go back to Win 3.11 than use this abominable, hideous, nauseating Metro eyesore !!! :biggrin:

3. Jaycee13

Jaycee13 MDL Senior Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Then don't use it. Go back to your old version of Windows. You're not the only consumer after all.

4. thavmym

thavmym MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2009
    but there are too many users who dislike metro. on my notebook it's OK to use it, because I use browser, media player, word and some other apps very occasionally.
    but on my desktop PCs both at home and at work metro looks awful and is entirely unusable.
    there must be an option to switch off metro for desktop PC.

5. slayermbm

slayermbm MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2011
    #5 slayermbm, Mar 1, 2012
    (OP)
    C'mon, it can't be that hard for Microsoft to give you the OPTION to do it.

And please, don't give me the excuse that everything new is better, or everybody has to "addapt or die".

Just an Yes or No alternative (enable/disable), or two completely separate OSE's, one with Metro enabled, the other like the "Classic" desktop feel.

6. Gaius

Gaius MDL Novice

May 17, 2011
    Going to be tough when Windows 10 comes out and support stops for 7...

7. Rickkins

Rickkins MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Not really...cuz by then, whatever is left of the corporation formerly known as microsoft will have surely have repaired the mess they have made here.

8. thavmym

Jul 20, 2009
    Windows dominates the world. That's why microsoft developers believe no matter how awful and unusable the new interface is the majority of people will have to adopt metro or migrate to linux/mac.

9. thavmym

Jul 20, 2009
    I mean the world of computers ;-)

10. cipacipacipa

cipacipacipa MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    #10 cipacipacipa, Mar 1, 2012
    Well that's what I said, didn't I? That's exactly what I'm gonna do - I won't use it. As much as I'd love to have some of the other new features, particularly fast booting, improved copying, system refresh, less RAM use and native USB 3.0 support (which aren't such big deals after all, but still would be quite nice to have) - Metro ruins it all, Metro is a complete and utter no go, point blanc.

And it's not that I'm a Neanderthal, either - when 7 came out (I skipped Vista because in the beginning it was terribliy slow, unstable and I couldn't find drivers for half my hardware back then), I've come to LOVE the new taskbar with all the pinnable applications and the new start menu with the ability to run programs just by entering a few letters and hitting Enter. That was true innovation - something that I had to get used to at first as well, but with real value behind it, and a joy to use.

Metro is NOT a joy to use, it is a freakish and ugly nightmare, spawned by a color-blind ADHD schizophrenic. For me, it completely DESTROYS all the joy that comes from productively and intuitively using a desktop computer.

11. Jaycee13

Jaycee13 MDL Senior Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Exactly :good3:

12. thavmym

Jul 20, 2009
    I believe Windows 8 will be the most unpopular OS from microsoft, even worse than Windows Vista was.
    They decided we don't need start menu without asking anyone.

13. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I don't mind about Metro style as we can still go to desktop.
    One thing I have not discovered (and others..) is how to find a way to get "accessories" like Wordpad, calculator etc etc ... As there is no more way to access installed applications only by icons scattered the desktop or the UI Metro.
    Also the Windows Media Center is gone.. My TV and Radio card is no more useful :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. radxxx

radxxx MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2012
    #14 radxxx, Mar 1, 2012
    I agree. The enthousiasts could probably live with Metro. Basic users like my mum would be clueless and the Pro IT guys will never use it for their companies. MS should have put in the option to choose
    which UI to use like Linux (KDE, Gnome etc)

15. thavmym

Jul 20, 2009
    They have already decided what do we need. A small group of people from UEX team presses their opinion to millions of people. This is unacceptable!

16. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Canouna,

It is not the performance, but Windows 8 will be in the same corner as Windows ME and Windows Vista. Microsoft made a terrible mistake with the Metro UI. It is for many power users a horrible thing. Most company's will not use this version of Windows.

Sure, it is a nice thing for tablets, but most people use it on there desktops and/or notebooks. And there lies the problem. It is totally not workable for desktops and/or notebooks.

17. radxxx

radxxx MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2012
    Yeah but what can you do? Hopefully somebody in Redmond will wake up before the RC comes out. If not, they will find out in their sales. Plain and simple.

18. thavmym

Jul 20, 2009
    I only hope there will be easy and simple tool to enable start menu.

19. Rickkins

Rickkins MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Even the pirates won't want this dog.

20. exo-dan

exo-dan MDL Senior Member

Aug 22, 2009
    On this build I don't mind so much not having the old start menu.I seem to be maneuvering around this OS just fine :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...