How To Disable Windows Defender Quick Scan?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by LEXX911, Sep 30, 2014.

1. LEXX911

LEXX911 MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Is there any way to disable Windows Defender from doing Quick Scan? I always wonder why I keep hearing my computer CPU and my water pump go full throttle when I'm off my away from my desktop. So finally realize it's the stupid Quick Scan from Windows Defender. Can't find any way to turn it off. Is there any way to turn off this annoying option? Another stupid thing in Windows 8.1 is that they took out the Scheduled Scan under Settings in Windows Defender. Why???

2. Doryme

Doryme MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    I've had the problem, i disabled windows defender, it didn't work

3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Look into Task Scheduler:
    JEmgVdF.png

4. LEXX911

Jul 29, 2009
    I know about that. But it's stupid to have it outside of Windows Defender in the first place. Seems like you can't turn off Quick Scan. Only way I guess is to disable it altogether.

5. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    Under SETTINGS - Excluded files and Locations - what if you added all drives to the excluded list?
    While it wouldn't turn it off, it wouldn't leave anything for it to scan, so it wouldn't run - maybe...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. LEXX911

Jul 29, 2009
    The point is that I want to keep using it for real time protection. So excluding it will also kill the real time protection. I have no clue why Windows Defender Quick Scan auto run without your permission.

7. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    I could be way off base here, but isn't real time protection for stopping something before it gets onto the computer, and scanning for finding things already on the computer.
    SO - If things are stopped before they get there, no need to scan for them.

See my signature...;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...