How to downgrade windows 7 from windows 8 without loosing data ???

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ankithonda, Aug 27, 2013.

1. ankithonda

ankithonda MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2011
    I have windows 8 installed in my laptop and i want to downgrade it ... i have some partitions as shows in pic. i want to keep safe data from some partitions and other partitions i want to delete. partitions.jpg

please tell me the procedure ... i have Windows 7 ghost image and Windows 7 installation disc also.

Deleting those partitions ( recovery,EFI , OEM ) is safe ????????

2. leanduy

leanduy MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2012
    Run setup, choose keep personal file ....

3. ankithonda

ankithonda MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2011
    Thanks for replies .... @im_bored ... i have fear that deleting EFI partition will remove my all other partition data ... thats why i am confused ....

4. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  6. im bored

im bored MDL Member

Aug 17, 2009
    #7 im bored, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    You can delete what ever partition you want during Windows 7 Installation. I don't know where your read that deleting EFI partition will remove the others. But that's false. As I said before, during Windows 7 instal you will have the opportunity to choose what stays and what goes. As long as you don't delete (Old Data, Softwares, Multimedia) your self during the install it will still be there after install.

And if your still afraid than I have a simple solution to your fear, MAKE A BACKUP of the data on these 3 partitions and than test the waters.

7. Krutonium

Krutonium MDL Senior Member

Aug 27, 2013
    From what I know, it should be as simple as installing over 8.

8. Oglon3r

Oglon3r MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2009
    Create a New partition on NTFS. Lets name it X. Try to get it at the end of your partition table
    Move all your information that you want saved to partition X
    Get Windows 7 install on USB or DVD
    Delete All other partitions except partition X and install Windows 7 on the unallocated space.
    Windows 7 installation will then do its thing.