[HOW-TO] download any Windows 8 version from Microsoft without an MSDN account

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by etb, Sep 15, 2013.

1. etb

etb MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2013
    #1 etb, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    question: where do I download an untouched windows 8 iso?

answer: from microsoft
    requirements: windows 8 legal/valid key for the windows 8 image you are trying to download

step1:
    go download the windows 8 setup from microsoft
    windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

step2: run the setup and enter your key then the download will begin
    (for N versions downloading outside of the usa use a vpn service like vpnforuk.com then download it)
    tip: after you start the download, pause it and disconnect from the vpn then resume the download at full speed)

step3: burn the iso to a disc... done

to add the media package back in: microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30685

reason for this post: a co-worker of mine had an msdn account and gave me a key for windows pro N, I got around to using it on a new media pc I put together but I didn't have access to the msdn account and I'm in the USA, so I used the vpn to gain access to download the non USA image for the legit key I own, so I figured there may be someone else out there that finds this information usefull.

2. Windows user

Windows user MDL Senior Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Excuse me,but where exactly is the MSDN part??? :confused: You just posted a technique that everyone knows since Windows 8 got released last year...that's how you buy the OS online from M$...where's the trick in this??? :confused:

3. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    it's a spammy post. And that's Windows 8. Noone needs that old crap Windows 8.1 is all over the net now

He even sent me a PM about this post I don't know why but I've reported him

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    hrm can't imagine why he target you, odd. :confused:

But this will be win8, but not the same as the iso's from MSDN that is for sure.

5. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    dunno man that's weird he randomly picked me. maybe he thought I will send him a free virtual cookie? weird people online seriously

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I know the trick buy a subscription from msdn a € 748,35 and then login on then msdn account and then download the goodies :p :eek:

7. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    :closed:nothin more to see here

8. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #8 MrMagic, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    lol I did this for fun and it downloaded the 32bit ISO instead of 64 which I am currently running

EDIT - VMWare thinks it is 64bit, but it is only 2.6GB....

9. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    The ESD distribution contains only PRO and is therefore smaller.

10. etb

etb MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2013
    jeez people I was just trying to help someone out.

I got a legit key from a friend who had an msdn account, his account since then has expired, and I was trying to find the correct iso to download so I could install it, I used this method.

flame on... rude

11. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    didn't mean to be rude dude but it was surprising that you post this now? don't you see the myriad of threads for Windows 8.1 RTM with the same hashes as the MSDN ISOs? hence, noone is interested in Windows 8 only, it's old old news

12. etb

etb MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2013

btw, I saw this post, and decided to share my findings...
    forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/46822-Where-to-download-Windows-8-Pro-N-Edition-untouched-ISO

thanks for the false reporting.. try to help someone out..

13. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #13 MrMagic, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

So Core and Pro are different images? I thought they would be the same image, but Core doesn't get as many features installed ?

I think it's more likely that the unneeded language packs are removed, not the images of different versions of 8

14. etb

etb MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2013

I see all the posts about 8.1 its too early and unstable, but good luck with that

15. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    just a brief correction on your comment about instability: Negative, 8.1 is very stable. These posts you are referring to are those with manipulated files such as reg-tweaks or additional installed useless crap. The pure 8.1 runs just perfectly and stable. :D

16. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    strange, how I and many others here have been running it for a long time with no issues.

I for one find it less buggy.

Example, Install WinRAR v4 or v5 in Windows 8. It won't take over the *.zip files extension and when you double click on a file it will still open in the default Windows Compression tool UNTIL you manually go to Default Programs, and set WinRAR to be the default handler from there.

In Windows 8.1, programs are able to takeover file assosciations so the moment you install WinRAR, it becomes the defualt handler without any extra work, the way it should be

this is just one out of many examples.

Another excellent thing, now when you open "Computer" it has shortcuts to Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, Downloads so basically it kind of negates the urgency for a need for a start menu alternative because everything is right there and you have a start button as well

just my 2 cents worth

17. Jessica Alba

Jessica Alba MDL Expert

Jul 26, 2009
    My windows 8.1 is stable in fact it's running better than windows 7 or 8 :D

18. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Im not a fan of setting the default browser, in all previous OSs, you clicked the button inside the browser to set it as default, done - in 8.1 it opens the Windows default programs window and makes you set it from there too, not pressing the windows setting to make it default causes it to not be set

19. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    +1 What he said.

20. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    What's your point? What are you trying to proove/say? Which posts are you referring to exactly? What was in your mind when you write the above sentence?