How to Dual Boot Windows 7 Ultimate with Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by xscess, Jul 29, 2011.

1. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I'm very much familiar with dual/multi boot with GRUB/Linux (multiple Linux or Windows & Linux etc combinations) but have never done it with Windows. Is there any way to achieve this with Windows' in-built options without any third-party software? How to do & which OS should I install first on a blank HD with 2 or more partitions?

Many thanks in advance!

2. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Windows 7 will be from the disc that came with the desktop and Server 2008 R2 Enterprise will use Daz loader. Does this makes any difference in order of installations or something?

3. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    I have a multiboot system.
    Windows 7,XP and sometimes even MAC OS X..

I have found the best way for me is to use a seperate HDD for each OS. Switching between each one by selecting the disk boot order in the BIOS.
    Slighlty more time consuming I must agree but I rather like this method,it allows me to mess with any OS while leaving the others intact and the amount of times I format and mess about with installs this works perfect for me.

Maybe try this method and see if it works for you too.

4. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    I have used "easybcd" in the past. Good app and worked well buttttt I find having seperate drives gives that bit more control. Just how I like it..:biggrin:
    Sounds like you have it all under control now any way,which is good. :cool:

5. nanayaw

nanayaw MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2012
    how to dual boot windows 7 ultimate and windows server 2008R2 enterprise

6. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Just described by canouna and tnx (using easybcd).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...