how to dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu in uefi mode

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mreyna16, May 7, 2013.

1. mreyna16

mreyna16 MDL Novice

May 3, 2013
    if im breaking any rules, mods please take this down...

well i was finally able to install windows 8 in uefi mode using a usb and was wondering how i could install ubuntu 13.04 to dual boot with windows 8 uefi? basically i dont want to disable secure boot nor any other feature in bios. i cant post links because i have less than 20 posts but if you guys can go into youtube and search for "Dual-Boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.10 by AvoidErrors" and tell me if that video is the way to install it. if you guys agree but would do something different than the video then by all means let me know

thanks in advance guys

2. mreyna16

mreyna16 MDL Novice

May 3, 2013
    Bump. Anyone?

3. sToRmInG

sToRmInG MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2008
    Download latest Ubuntu 13.04 and install. No problems at all except that you will have to set up the partitions manually.

My setup was:
    300MB for /boot
    40GB for /
    and 90GB for /home

Bootloader: IMPORTANT set it to the same partition as /boot and NOT the HDD itself. It will probably work but I'm not sure about it.

After the installation you should have an "Ubuntu" entry in your UEFI BIOS Boot menu additionaly to your "Windows Boot Loader".
    The boot order will be set that ubuntu will get started by default. You can either change the boot order in your UEFI BIOS if supported or through efibootmgr in Ubuntu it self.

This only works with Ubuntu since Kubuntu for example has no signed vmlinuz.efi meaning Kubuntu is not able to start if you have Secure Boot in User mode.

4. manuj545

manuj545 MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2013
    Hi ,even i was stuck with this for some time. Actually after installing ubuntu on machine which has windows 8 pre installed with UEFI (as oppose to those with LEGCY BIOS) ,you need to update the grub for ubuntu. i have done this for ubuntu 13.04
    I hvae made astep wise guide to do this.
    But sadly i cant the post the link here(as i dont have 20 posts :().
    Shoot me an email at s.manuj545 at gmail.com and i will send you the link.

Cheers