How to enable Aero glass on windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by endbase, Feb 25, 2014.

1. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #1 endbase, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Aero glass like windows 7 will never be back.Modifying 8 looks ugly.M$ will sell more as people get more used to 8 style.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Painkiller

Painkiller MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
  4. Geoffrey84

Geoffrey84 MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2009
    I've gone back to Windows 7 with the Windows 8 RP theme since Aero Glass in Windows 8.1 will never be fully achievable through 3rd party software. If Microsoft brings back Aero in a future release I might take another look. But today's PCs have more than enough graphics power to handle the extra resources required. There should at least have been an option to enable this feature, especially after all the hours spent by Microsoft developers to integrate this theme in Vista.

5. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Thx for the reply !! The win Aero Glass program works fine thank you for that :)

Transpartant taskbar program does nothing but I will see if I don't do something wrong :p

Thx alot so far and greetz Base

6. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Sure it's easy to do,but wait to see the disadvantages while opening more than one application.Everything will be overwritten.It's not practical at all.Still,it's up to you.Painkiller tried to help and responded quickly,his response is appreciated.

7. Hiii

Hiii MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2013
    #8 Hiii, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    There’s no way to purchase your utility and honestly the way you go about providing *temporary* reprieves from harassment makes me look forward to a cracked variant. You’ve set up a rather absurd criteria for obtaining the nag free version, I don’t understand why a one off payment of say a 10-15 euro isn’t enough.

8. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I like the Aero Glass look, but not enough to mod my system.
    I wish MS would make an official package to add the option.

9. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    #11 sevenacids, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    I agree with that. Here's an excerpt from the website:

I'd really like to know what "a meaningful value for the development" means. 5 Euros? 10 Euros? 100 Euros? This statement is so spongy (or as we would say in German "schwammig") and the line "you may receive a limited number of keys" pulls it over the top. I mean, seriously?

I don't think it's the intention of the people who are willing to donate to get something for the smallest possible price, the meaning of a donation is to make a contribution and not to purchase something. BUT: If you release something that is practically shareware with nags, people expect there must be a premium version that doesn't have these nags and they expect that the provider, developer, or whatever, explicitly name a price for that. Otherwise, it's just a farce, really dubious behavior, and misuse of the donation model. People could donate 1000 Euros, but the guy could still say "sorry, it's not meaningful" (abbreviated: "f*** you") and take the money anyways - tax free, of course, unlike a purchase with a bill. There's a word for such a behavior: anti-social.

I'm not interested in Aero Glass at all, but I really have to comment as I despise developers who behave like this and come up with strange payment models for hacks (since the software makes use of DLL injection, I call it a hack). It's really bad for the community.

10. bigmuscle

bigmuscle MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Why the hell can't people understand that this is private work and you cannot buy it in any way, there is no "criteria for obtaining the nag free version" nor "payment models". Simply, there is no way to get access to private version. It has been released only as a demonstration that complete native Aero Glass effect can be reimplemented using DLL injection. Several people just contacted me that they like the software and they would like to donate, so I gave them a special access as a my form of "thank you" and published this info so other people don't have to ask again and again. You either like or not. If you don't like it, simply create your own software. Dot.

It would be the best situation but you are not right. There is many people who donated 0.01€ and then spammed me with messages that I am obligated to provide them full version.

11. Painkiller

Painkiller MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
  12. Hiii

Hiii MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2013
    Just nonsense. From my perspective there is no reasonable way to obtain the private version, but there is your subscription-like way otherwise your program wouldn't be begging for “donations” every couple of hours. I think windows 8 would benefit from aero glass and your implementation of it but I don’t care enough to constantly have to “donate” or worry how much I should give to receive sufficient keys. If it truly was free then I probably would’ve sent 10 euro your way in the form of an actual donation. I'm not competent enough to make my own so I won't and can live without it.

13. shawnsdada

shawnsdada MDL Junior Member

Jun 24, 2013
    You've been giving people the runaround with your little tool for a while now. You asked for donations to have a nag-free version and when people donated you suddenly changed it to where it had to be a certain amount before they could get a nag-free version. You did that just to get more money out of them. You wouldn't make it clear what amount you wanted and I know for a fact you've given the nag-free version to some at different donation amounts.

Don't get upset that people are calling you out on your BS. Nice try on trying to get me banned/warned on Neowin for calling you out there. That was hilarious

14. bigmuscle

Jan 23, 2013
    This is exactly what I was talking about. If someone wants to care how much he should give to receive access keys then he should look for different solution because Aero Glass is not for him. There is no possibility to buy so why should you care how much to give? Either you want to support the development and you give some value which you think my Aero Glass should be worth of and you might receive a special access to private version as a form of "thank you", or you don't want to support the development. That's all.

This is what I call funny since the beginning I started the development of Aero Glass. Users complain that it displays some nag dialog every one, two, three, etc. hours although it is not true. The copyright message is displayed only once at startup. Then they complain that their donation does not allow them to change their HDD hundred-times per year although they don't need to change it at all. And the most funny thing is how they complain that I'm deleting/banning their posts on MSFN forum although I am only regular user there and I have no privilege to delete something there.

15. Hiii

Hiii MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2013
    #17 Hiii, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    You’re intentionally misunderstanding my contention or you’re just beyond reason. Either release a version free from pestering messages and watermarks and let people who wish to donate do so, or name your price and drop the inconvenient keys. It seems to me that your convoluted system only exist because you want to maximise the amount of money you gain per key and it’s a shame that there are people who are gullible enough and will fall for it.

Also “The copyright message is displayed only once at startup” is such a lie I don’t know who you’re trying t fool.

I want to add: If I want to change my HDD 100 times a year I bloody well should be able to.

16. bigmuscle

Jan 23, 2013
    But this is what I'm talking about all the time. Why the hell should I do it??? This is my private work so why should I release it for free or why should I provide it for buying??? Just because some anonymous user is trying to force me to do it or what? And are you telling me that saying "You cannot buy the full version" is the way to "maximise the amount of money" ?? :swoon:

Sure, you are the developer, so you know better what is implemented in the software. :wacko:
    EDIT: I checked the source code and you were right, it is not displayed only once at startup, it is display only once exactly 72,2 seconds after startup.

Of course (and that's why I made a special offer to some of the complaining users). It just seems to be a bit silly when you complain that you donated 1€ and now you cannot change your HDD hundred-times per year although you don't want to change anything at all :p

17. Hiii

Hiii MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2013
    You’re just a scum developer then. When you have software constantly asking for money and not providing a definite price for the removal of such harassment and not making it clear that fulfilling said price will even entitle you to a pester-free version is a scam in my opinion, along with your other various and equally ridiculous limitations.

I distinctly remember your popup minimising full screen applications during the period I used your tool so now I know for a fact you’re dishonest.

18. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    #20 sevenacids, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    I understand that it is your private work, but then again I wonder why you have to release it publicly under these strange circumstancas. I just don't get the reasoning behind your terms and conditions. Obviously, you are willing to share your work with the community, otherwise you wouldn't have released it in the first place. On the other hand, you don't want to give it away for free, but instead of just turning it into regular shareware, you decided to only accept donations and arbitrarily provide some kind of key to remove nags/unlock it (I can't really tell because I never used it, I just refer to the statements people have done here) if it has a meaningful value for developement (whatever that means).

Maybe you should make this more clear on your website then, in bold and uppercase ideally.

Simple solution: Set a limit/price or don't rise peoples' expectations by accepting donations under ambiguous statements if you are not willing to give access to the private version anyways (see previous quote).

This case really got me interested and I guess I'll contact berliOS because I'd really like to hear a statement on this project and I'm curious because they extensively tag themselves with "open source".