How to enable RemoteApp on XP SP3?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sebus, Dec 31, 2009.

1. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #1 sebus, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  2. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    this will only work for Windows Virtual PC or a server running RDS Virtualization. It says so right on the page for the update.

Also the host has to be Windows 7 it can't be Vista or XP, the virtual guest can be XP or Vista with this patch now.

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    But... if the host is Win7 & virtualization platform is VirtualBOX & the guest is Win7 then it ALSO works.

If in above the guest is XP SP3 then it does not work.

And it would be nice if it worked

So what is missing in such setup?

sebus

4. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    well it comes down to the fact that the support is hacked into XP/Vista by the patch and Win7/Server 2008 R2 have this support built into the OS.

So it is something that is simply missing in XP SP3/Vista that isn't there, and probably won't be there. Nobody on that page seems to be able to get it working unless it is another solution and a 7 guest or a Windows VPC/Hyper-V R2 environment, the patch on the guest and XP/Vista.

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    But isn't XP Mode supposed to be the very thing?

XP guest that allows RemoteApps to be published to the Win7 host

In fact the host does not matter as it is only the RDP 7.0 that matters

So it should be possible to forget the virtual environment & ie run RemoteApp from physical XP/Vista/7 to a client with RDP 7.0 (being it XP/Vista/7)

I hope there is a way & hope that it will be found, as it looks like excellent alternative to running small apps remotely

sebus

6. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    I thought so too [on the RDP 7 thing], but it is something more, otherwise you would be able to publish apps right to the start menu on XP/Vista by installing just the RDP 7 client. I think it has something to do with the virtualization extensions being built into 7/2008 R2 that makes it work without installing WVPC or Hyper-V, but without being a developer I can't say for certain.