How to enable virtualization for Dell E521

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by beemisc, Aug 21, 2013.

1. beemisc

beemisc MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2013
    Hi,
    I have a PC Dell E521 with information as in the image (from CPU-Z)
    - CPU.jpg
    - MainBoard.jpg
    I'd like to enable virtualization in BIOS but it doesn't have that option. Could you please recommend how to do this or pointer to any existing instructions that I might have missed?
    Much appreciated.

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller MDL Spinning Tortoise

Dec 21, 2012
    From what I know, Virtualization is always enabled for AMD CPUs. Only Intel CPUs do have that option.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. beemisc

beemisc MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2013
    Thanks for response but it doesn't seem that way because I can't run any virtualization software, including Hyper-V. It seems to request me to enable in BIOS but I don't have that option.

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller MDL Spinning Tortoise

Dec 21, 2012
    It's possible that another application is locking the Virtualization extensions (VT-x). Usually happens when you have more than one Virtualizer installed (like VMWare or Windows 7's XP Mode).

In BIOS (depending on which one) there might be a dedicated CPU config page. It's possible you need to switch it on as one of the possible CPU extensions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. beemisc

beemisc MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2013
    I don't have VMWare. I am using Windows 8 Pro and can't turn on AMD-V (showed up on CPU-Z) and there's no option in BIOS, seems that BIOS need patch somehow that I am looking for.