How To Exclude A Drive When Making Windows Image Backup

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ChaserLee, Dec 31, 2014.

1. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    #1 ChaserLee, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I learned how to make a Windows Image Backup here on this forum some months ago, and it has been of use to me a couple of times. However, since I learned how to make one, I started installing some of my larger sized games to my D: drive. Now, when I use the Admin Powershell to make a backup, instead of just making an image of my C: drive, it now includes all those large game files on my D: drive too. This makes for a really large backup image, as you can imagine.

The command I have been using is as follows:

Code:
    wbAdmin start backup -backupTarget:P: -include:C: -allCritical -quiet
    Would anyone know of a way that I can exclude the D: drive when making the backup image? This would be for my Windows 8.1 Update x64 OS, if that makes any difference.

TIA !!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. david_xross_2

david_xross_2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 31, 2012
    #2 david_xross_2, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014

Attached Files:

3. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    #3 ChaserLee, Dec 31, 2014
    (OP)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Thank you, I finally found the GUI. But still no joy.o_O The check box next to drive D: is checked, and the GUI will not let me un-check it. So, it seems that I have no control over it using the GUI.

If it can be done at all, it will have to be in the command line argument somewhere.....

5. CEW

CEW MDL Senior Member

Jan 21, 2011
    There is obviously something critical on that drive.

You can image any individual partition, just by omitting the allcritical bit

wbAdmin start backup -backupTarget:p: -include:C: -quiet

Though, iirc, you would have to restore using command line as well.

6. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    I think it's just that the registry is pointing to installed games on the D: drive, so the backup process figures that there is something critical there.

I'll mess around and do more searching on the web, maybe I can figure this out. Thanks for the suggestion!!

7. bodmas

bodmas MDL Senior Member

Jul 26, 2011
    #8 bodmas, Jan 1, 2015
  8. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Tried to run it as Admin, but it shows a small text box stating " Error #5 starting the PowerQuest engine".

Out of curiosity, why do you want a screenshot of my disk partitions? There are other ways I can provide a snapshot of them, if you think it will help?

9. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    #10 SpeedDream, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    diskmgmt.msc maximized should be enough, I'd personally would use another program like macrium reflect or acronis trueimage

10. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    I agree totally, but again, I fail to understand what an image of my partitions is going to do for anyone to help me solve my issue? The backup command does an excellent job of backing up all the C: partitions, the UEFI, Recovery, and main C: partions on my drive 0. I have no issues with that. The thing I'd like to be able to do is to not include the D: partition of a completely different drive.

My thinking is this..... When something goes wrong with my OS for any reason, I certainly want that C: drive image, with ALL the partitions on it including UEFI, Recovery, and OS. However, I do not believe that anything that messes up my C: drive is going to affect my D: drive, as it is a different physical drive, and contain all large game installations. As long as a restore on the C: drive includes the savegames and such, everything should be good to go.

11. bodmas

bodmas MDL Senior Member

Jul 26, 2011

Attached Files:

12. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Ah, I see now. However, I can assure you that my D: drive is just a normal MBR HDD, with a normal Primary partition on it.

In the past, the System Backup did not include the D: drive. It was only after I started installing games to that drive, that it began to include it as part of the backup image. I understand why it does this, because there are programs on the D: drive that are being referenced by the registry. So, naturally, the backup program wants to include that drive so that in the event I need to use that image, it will be complete.

I'm just looking for a way to exclude the D: drive from the image, plain and simple. The more I research the issue, the more I become convinced that this will not be possible, using the built-in backup program. If I'm to accomplish what I want, it's looking like I'm going to have to use a third-party program that includes a rescue disk. I think that's the only way I can be assured of backing up the UEFI partition, the Restore partition, and the main OS partition on the C: drive.

The reason I started installing the large game files on the D: drive is because it is a normal HDD, with lots of room on it, while my OS drive, C:, is an SSD, with limited space.

Thank you for your idea, and your suggestion. I just don't think it applies in this instance... o_O

13. arcon49

arcon49 MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2017
    In general, the following methods are:
    Will have installed the game folder as a whole copy out, and then rename, and then uninstall the original D drive game, and then paste the folder to the original place, rename the recovery.

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    ChaserLee posted that 2 yrs ago