How to flash dell 530s...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Jopplehead, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Jopplehead

Jopplehead MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    OK, I found in the already modded slic bios list a dell 530 inspiron destop bios. I have a friend that wants me to flash his pc for him but do not know what to use to flash it?? Dell's site just has a self installing app and NO flash utility at all! Any ideas... ??? :confused:

2. gastro

gastro MDL Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Don't brick someone else's computer by trying to be an internet superhero.

3. Jopplehead

Jul 30, 2009
    #3 Jopplehead, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
    (OP)
    I am experienced in flashing bios. I have done two of my own. I just don't know the tool to use for this particular MB. I understand what you are saying and the person I am doing it for does also. I do take your warning.

4. gastro

gastro MDL Member

Jul 22, 2009
    You've flashed two Dells with modified bios?

It's not the same as running dell's bios updating tool.

5. gastro

gastro MDL Member

Jul 22, 2009
    #5 gastro, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  6. Jopplehead

Jul 30, 2009
    OK, I see your point. Thanks.... I will do more thorough looking into it before any attempt. Thanks for your help :)

7. tazman137

tazman137 MDL Junior Member

Jul 17, 2009
    #8 tazman137, Aug 12, 2009
  8. gastro

gastro MDL Member

Jul 22, 2009
    #9 gastro, Aug 12, 2009
  9. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
  10. Jopplehead

Jul 30, 2009
    @wcahill

I had figured out how to do the bios update by finding the temp files created by the installer and swapping the original bin with the moddified bin, Which used winflash and a few driver files. After reading your comments I am glad I checked up on this post. This could have been a bad experience for him since the new BIOS itself is buggy :( I will NOT do the flash. I hope someone smarter than me moddifies the 1016 just like you are looking for . Too bad :( I guess the Activators are the only TEMP solution to installing win 7 for him.

11. gastro

gastro MDL Member

Jul 22, 2009
    You don't need SLIC 2.1 for activation.

Why so many are willing to risk manually modded bios' makes no sense.

It's the same with vista. If you're bored, go learn to do something else and don't risk your bios; unless you know you can change a jumper and go to a recovery bios.

12. gastro

gastro MDL Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Just to add.

You assume micrococks won't make it necessary to check for modded bios. Adding slic tables to your OEM bios doesn't mean your obvious bios mod can't be detected.

You really think microcunts hasn't planned for this eventuality?

13. Jopplehead

Jul 30, 2009
    I personally had been disabled by using act*vators... Say what you want but they are easily detected by MS. You are entitled to your opinion. If I try this and later prove to be wrong then I appologize. I do not understand why you would want to start a conflict when I have not said anything rude to you. I'm done with this post.

14. gastro

gastro MDL Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I only suggest that if you want to mod your bios, make sure you can revert to a recovery bios.

People think MS hasn't learned from Vista, and that's all assumption.

15. wcahill

wcahill MDL Novice

May 15, 2008
    I thank you for the information concerning using the Awardtool you mentioned. I took a look at that and being so very unfamiliar with what to do with this (I don't even understand what goes in each of the boxes or if the outcome is a direct change to the bios or a file to flash to the bios) I am concerned that I will kill the computer if I try to do this.

I watched your posts working on the Inspiron 6400 and finally did install that update to my portable. I am not sure how the files you had worked but they did. I just ran them from a dos usb bootable memory stick using the .bat file which seemed the safest way to try it.

Perhaps if someone publishes a tutorial using the tool mentioned with a lot of detail concerning different machines, what to put into each box, and what outcomes to expect, then I will give it a try. I know my way around computers pretty well but this bios stuff is all "greek" to me.

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Why stating another assumption by yourself?
    Please stop to hold members from using a modded bios. I think they are informed enough to decide by themselves. btw: such posts aren't useful at all...if you notice about a dangerous bios, yes, but your pesonal meaning about to use a biosmod is here inappropriate....

Why DO you think M$ has updated their activation by only changing the marker?
    They surely have had better technical possibilities to......

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #18 urie, Aug 13, 2009
  18. wcahill

wcahill MDL Novice

May 15, 2008
    #19 wcahill, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
    urie, I was quite interested in your work on the 1.0.18 bios and decided to give the update another try. Following the instructions from the Award tool, I flashed the original 1.0.18 and then the modified one.

Unfortunately I had the same result that I previously had with the original 1.0.18 version as well as your modified 1.0.18 (no boot while the video card DVI plug is connected but boots fine with only the video card VGA plug connected). I suspect there must be some differences in some of the 530s or possibly the problem is related to particular video cards or maybe even the DVI to HDMI video cable I am using.

My video card is the ATI Radeon HD 2400 (pci) shipped with the machine (VGA connected to the Dell monitor and DVI connected to a Sony TV with DVI to HDMI cable). Other than adding memory (now has 4 gigs), changing to a wireless usb keyboard and mouse, adding an additional hard drive, and attaching the DVI to HDMI cable to the TV, my 530 is a basic factory build purchased in the fall of 2008 (motherboard 0RY007).

Whatever the problem is, it only surfaces when the 1.0.18 bios is installed.

If the original poster wants to flash a bios, I would say go for it. Everything worked fine for me as long as I did not did plug my DVI cable into my video card. Nothing ventured nothing gained. However, should it not work for him, he can always revert to the previous bios by re-flashing from a bootable dos usb stick.

Since last on here, I did a lot of reading on the modification tool and I figured out how to use it. I ran the 1.0.16 bios version and out popped a modified version. I did the flash and all went well.

The only anomaly I have seen since applying the modified 1.0.16 bios is a little flash momentarily of lines to the right of the new multicolored Windows 7 symbol during the Windows 7 boot. It does not do that when Vista boots with the modified 1.0.16 bios. I did a fresh Windows 7 install to see if that would stop it but it did not. In that this doesn't seem to have any impact, all is good so far.

I also noticed during the flash of the 1.0.18 bios from dos this morning that while flashing, the last line of blocks shown on the screen do not fill all the way up before completion. I had first done the unmodified again (trying to follow the instructions for the award tool to the letter) and saw the same thing so it had nothing to do with the modification. When I flashed the 1.0.16 all lines completely filled when the flash was done on both the unmodified 1.0.16 and the modified one.

In any case all is well with the modified 1.0.16 bios including my duel monitor setup.

I have updated the bios on many computers always with good success and never a bad flash (keeping my fingers crossed) although I know that there is some risk. Just finished reading about bios recovery on this forum. Quite interesting. Hope I never have to try it out.

If you have any clue as to why bios version 1.0.18 behaves differently on some Dell 530 builds (from the Dell forum it appears not to just be my particular machine but others as well) including what could be changed to alleviate this issue, I would appreciate your insight.

I have greatly enjoyed reading through the many issues raised on this Forum and learned a bit along the way. Keep up the good work....

Thanks

19. Outkast1

Outkast1 MDL Junior Member

Nov 11, 2007
    urie wrote:

Once flashed and you reboot go into bios setting and load default options also disable floppy drive setting then save.

Why does the floppy need to be disabled? I do know mine needs to disabled, but why?

Does anyone know where OA 2.1 tools come from? Windows 7,OPK,WAIK ?????

Thanks