How to forever disable driver signature enforcement in Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ineedh3lp, Oct 8, 2012.

1. ineedh3lp

ineedh3lp MDL Junior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    #1 ineedh3lp, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Is there a way to forever disable driver signature enforcement in Windows 8?

I keep seeing this solution posted on various blogs and forums:

Code:
    bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
    but it is not working, at least not like when you manually disable driver signature enforcement.

To disable driver signature enforcement, I currently have to do this everytime I restart my PC:

Code:
    1. From the Metro Start Screen, open Settings (move your mouse to the bottom-right-corner of the screen and wait for the pop-out bar to appear, then click the Gear icon).
    2. Click ‘More PC Settings’.
    3. Click ‘General’.
    4. Scroll down, and click ‘Restart now’ under ‘Advanced startup’.
    5. Click ‘Troubleshoot’.
    6. Click ‘Advanced Options’
    7. Click ‘Windows Startup Settings’
    8. Click Restart.
    Is there at least a way to create a shortcut or something? F8, Shift+F8 don't work any more at boot. These MS developers freaks really want everything their way only.

What's worse is that when I have to power up my PC, I first have to start normally and then restart with driver signature enforcement disabled, because there is no way to tell Windows 8 to show the troubleshoot screen when a PC is powered up.

2. acozart

acozart MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2010
    try this

Try this program
    The load instructions are simple. As usual TURN OFF UAC.

1. Run dseo13b.exe program
    2. click "enable test mode". This allows 64 bit Windows 7 to be used for testing drivers
    3. I rebooted to be safe, and you will see a faint test mode print in the corner
    4. Now open Device Manager and find the location of the unsigned drivers that wont work, by expanding Properties and Driver Details. Your looking for something like C:\Windows\System32\drivers\xxxxxxx.sys
    4. Run dseo13b.exe program again
    5. This time select "sign a system file" and put in the location of the file you found in Device Manager
    6. Repeat for all files in question then close. You have now assigned a signature to those files
    7. Reboot

3. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
  4. ineedh3lp

Jan 17, 2011
    #4 ineedh3lp, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Thank you acozart and 100 for your support.

@acozart I have already tried ngohq.com's Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider test mode to permanently disable driver signature enforcement, but that didn't help. Thing is that I didn't want to sign only a driver I was having problems with, but have driver signature enforcement disabled in case other drivers couldn't do without. Anyway, I ended following your instructions and signed the faulty sys file and it's working good. Thank you!

EDIT: Seem's that the dseo's test mode has no effect, it's driver signature function works only if test mode is enabled in an elevated command prompt using
    Code:
    bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

5. acozart

acozart MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2010
    test mode

hello
    I have signed drivers while in test mode and then exited test mode and
    they were still signed.

6. ineedh3lp

Jan 17, 2011
    Doesn't work on Windows 8, at least not for me. If I disable test mode, the driver doesn't get loaded any more.

7. acozart

acozart MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2010
    windows 8

Hello
    I have a computer with windows 8 installed,so
    I tried the driver signing on 8 and didnt have any problems
    You don't even have to enable test mode to sign a driver.
    I just clicked on sign a system driver and put the full path to
    the driver.
    In my case it was
    C:\Program Files\xxxxxxx\xxxxxv6.7\BPSRegWD64.dll
    I then got the messege that it was signed.
    I rebooted and the driver was still signed.
    I never did enable test mode so sign the driver

8. ineedh3lp

Jan 17, 2011
    Probably the problem varies with different driver requirements. Anyway, thanks for your support. Signing a single application driver that was giving me trouble is good enough.

9. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    #9 100, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
    Please look up what test mode is actually used for, because your posts are misleading and not really relevant.

Again: Enabling test mode is required for loading self-signed drivers.

10. acozart

acozart MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2010
    just trying to help

Just trying to help.
    My topic was on signing drivers so I thought I was
    relevant

11. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON works on Windows 8 :). However, using ngohq.com's Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider doesn't seem to work.

You may need to disable 'EnableLUA' under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System though, but not sure about that. Not planning on testing that out! (I have it disabled myself, I find it a pain). That said, if you disable it you won't be able to use Metro Apps.

12. ineedh3lp

Jan 17, 2011
    Yeah, I noticed ngohq.com's DSEO test mode doesn't have any effect, so I used only its driver signing functionality while keeping testing mode on with bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON.