How to format Windows without installation media?

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by ceo54, Jan 5, 2016.

1. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Hello
    Long story short, I've a notebook that has been infected. The virus doesn't let it boot from any device. I was thinking maybe I can format it from DOS and then do a clean install.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LostED

LostED SVF Patch Lover

Jul 30, 2009
    :eek:

are you suuuuuuuuure?

:g:
    can you post some fotos?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #3 tonto11, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    Download an iso of the version you have from the repository here on MDL burn that to a dvd
    Download a version of Hiren's boot cd burn that to a cd/dvd

boot your computer to the bios
    reset the boot order to boot from the cd/dvd

as lost ed says you really should be able to do that,

if you can't do that remove the hard drive
    boot to the cd/dvd, then plug the hard drive back in
    use Hiren to clean the virus off the hard drive
    or failing that reformat the hard drive
    reboot using the installation media you downloaded and install
    apply the key from the sticker in the bottom of the computer
    and you're back in business

...T

4. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Sounds to me like this is a fairly new computer with UEFI. And is setup so you can't boot from anything............. all in the name of protecting you and your computer:mad:
    Been there done that!!

5. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Yes I'm sure it's a virus causing me trouble. Whenever I plug in a USB, it makes a shortcut on the root folder and copies all the data in the USB within it. Also Before this infection My notebook booted fine with USB.

I'm not really sure if the DVD drive is in order. Also, can't download anything, if I could I would have downloaded an anti virus's trial version to clean it up.

any other suggestion?

6. XRobRoyX

XRobRoyX MDL Junior Member

Nov 17, 2012
    I would take the hdd and plug it in a "safe pc" = pc with no data to loose.
    Delete partitions and format the drive.
    If you have a spare hdd you could put that in and test if you can boot.
    Now put the hdd back and try again.

7. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    I've no data to loose, the notebook in question is only used to play games.

Okey so I've deleted the partitions but I don't know how to format the drive containing Windows without installation media. That is the Original Post.

After this step, I can just simply commence to install fresh since all the drives have been formated and thus clean.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Short answer you still need to get windows install media for installation.

9. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
  10. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Yeah that's what I though but kinda immature so I thought maybe better to ask the experts.

Well, I've installation media but the trouble is I can't boot from it. The Virus ain't letting me boot from any external device even after I changed the boot order in Bios it still boots from the internal drive and yeah this is the virus problem before getting infected I boothed just fine from anything I wanted.

I'm planning to wipe out entire disk, clean it up and then do a fresh install.

11. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi dude simple: during boot, press shift +F10 to access cmd then use Diskpart command and apply script recommended by M$ TecNet for make all partitions correctly, no problems, no errors :) in time your system is Bios or UEFI ;)

12. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Didn't get that part. After a complete wipe out, can't I just make partitions with Win installation USB?

Also, what's UEFI?

13. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    It might help if we knew what make and model of computer you're working on.
    We've been giving you general suggestions which could be a lot more focused and helpful
    if we knew what you were working on

...T