how to get rid of 15gb space on HD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Xeno, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Xeno

Xeno MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    I have a dell XPS 420 and it came with a recovery drive. I'm trying to delete it or trying to extend my regular hard drive by using that 15 gb of unallocated space, but I'm having no luck. No option in disk management within windows.
    I have Acronis disk director suite or whatever, but no luck there either (or I'm using it wrong)...

Can anybody help me to delete this 15 gb of unallocated space and put it in with my 750 gb hard drive?

Thanks!!

Btw i have x64 bit...some applications won't work :(

2. hvs

hvs MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Please save the SLP key and other relevant files before removing the recovery partition. If you somehow again come to the conclusion that you want your system as it was on 1st day, you will repent deleting the partition. Many do.
    You have to create a bootable disk of Acronis DD, boot from it & run it to remove/resize the partitions.

3. bachett

bachett MDL Novice

May 31, 2007
  4. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Why not use Diskpart ?

5. Xeno

Xeno MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    I tried using diskpart, but it says

Partition ### Type Size Offset
    ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    Partition 1 Primary 683 GB 15 GB

lol, that 15 GB I'm trying to get back is on the same partition as my windows etc is on...

Anybody knows where I can go from here?

I used acronis and that didn't work out, it said it couldn't find my HD..?

THanks for the help!! :D

6. bachett

bachett MDL Novice

May 31, 2007
    #6 bachett, Aug 22, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
    it's not on the same partition, your primary partition 1 starts at 15gb boundary (offset) with the size of 683gb is what it says. From 0gb to 15gb was not displayed, did you type in 'select disk 0' then 'list partition'?

Unless that 15 gb was allocated, it wouldnt be shown. If thats the case then you can create a new partition with size of 15gb using these commands:

create partition primary size=15360
    select volume x (replace x with new volume number just created)
    format fs=ntfs quick
    active
    assign

7. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    Use GParted if you like linux-"stuff".

8. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #8 Mr Jinje, Aug 22, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
    Is your hard drive a BASIC disk or DYNAMIC disk - That may also be an issue with Diskpart not working - Read this.

CautionCaution
    Deleting a partition on a dynamic disk can delete all dynamic volumes on the disk, thus destroying any data and leaving the disk in a corrupt state. To delete a dynamic volume, always use the delete volume command instead. Partitions can be deleted from dynamic disks, but they should not be created. For example, it is possible to delete an unrecognized GUID Partition Table (GPT) partition on a dynamic GPT disk. Deleting such a partition does not cause the resulting free space to become available. This command is intended to allow reclamation of space on a corrupted offline dynamic disk in an emergency situation where the clean command in DiskPart cannot be used.

It maybe you need to use list volume instead of list partitions to see it correctly - and maybe try delete volume if you can isolate the 15GB properly.