How to get the classic Start Menu back in Win 8 RTM?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by debin, Aug 24, 2012.

1. debin

debin MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Is there any solution to get the classic Start Menü back in Win 8? Any Tutorial "by hand" not "by tool" out there? :rolleyes:

2. debin

debin MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Nobody? :(

3. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    1) Make sure that Show Hidden Files is checked
    2) Right click on the toolbar and select Toolbar -> New Toolbar...
    3) Navigate to C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu and select it

Voila :D You have start menu without an extra software :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. debin

debin MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
  5. debin

debin MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    #7 debin, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
    (OP)
    What exactly you mean by that?:confused:

But in this solution there is not the classic Start Button available...i am right?:(

6. jasjeet

jasjeet MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2012
    forums*mydigitallife*info / threads / 35189-Windows-7-explorer-for-Windows-8

7. Boyfriend

Feb 10, 2010
    Enable show hidden files from folder option

If you want classic Start button, you need third party tool.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. mictlan

mictlan MDL Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Edit: removed

9. Boyfriend

Feb 10, 2010
  10. pre62th

pre62th MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2010
    Metro UI Tweaker is designed to tweak a few settings that are unavailable to users.

Disable Metro Start Menu:
    Disables only Metro Start Menu Screen. This function requires editing a System File. It does not
    remove the file.

Disable Metro Ribbon:
    Disables only the Metro Ribbon UI. This function I discovered myself. It requires Taking Ownership
    of a System File. It does not remove this file.

Disable Metro Start Menu and Ribbon:
    Disables the Metro Start Menu UI, Ribbon UI, Metro Task Manager UI and the Lock Screen.

Enable Metro Start Menu and Ribbon:
    Reenables all available Metro UI options.

Add Power Options to the Metro Start Menu Screen:
    Logoff, Switch User, Lock, Sleep, Restart and Shutdown

Add any Application/File to the Metro UI Start Menu Screen:
    Some Applications/Files may not be available to you to add to the Metro Start Menu Screen. This program
    allows you to add those Applications/Files which would otherwise be unavailable.

On first run the program will generate a folder in your Windows Directoy labeled MetroUI Tweakers. This folder
    is to keep your Power Option apps in places without worrying about them having to be moved.
    ****NOTE: Once generated and the files are unpacked from the program, do not remove the folder or the Power
    Apps from this folder as these options will no longer be available and may generate errors.

11. ghost000

ghost000 MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2012
    why would you want classic start menu back? if that's the case why upgrade to windows 8 in the first place?

12. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    No, the last thing I want is to get the Metro UI. I upgraded because Windows 8 is the newest Microsoft OS, it's faster then Windows 7, it will be the most updated OS, it's has more features then Windows 7 etc. Windows 8 is not only Metro.

13. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  14. ghost000

ghost000 MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2012
    yes but there's nothing wrong with Metro. I think the problem is more unfamiliarity than Metro itself

15. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Metro just isn't any good for desktop, laptop (non-touch) scenarios. It's not as easy to navigate, and things on it look like they belong on a kids toy. That said, on a small mobile device/tablet it would make sense to use metro. or at least something similar to metro.

The problem is Microsoft has adopted a 'one size fits all' policy, which just doesn't translate well between phones/tablets and desktops/laptops.

The start menu is actually quite brilliant and useful, as long as you cut out all the crap and unnecessary folders and sort the things how you like them.

16. madmoe

madmoe MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
    #19 madmoe, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
    Totally agree with you mate! I have just installed your tool and I like it! I have to ask how do I get back to the Metro desktop quickly though now that the Start button is in the bottom left hand corner......

Cheers,
    M

Edit: Just hover over the right hand side and I can get it easily by clicking Start there ;-)

17. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    I'm surprised noone else mentioned it,but another third-party way to get a 7-like Start Menu is ViStart (google it,because I'm 17 posts away from being able to post links XD ) . That said, for now I'm happy with the ClassicShell+AskVG skin Start Menu :)