How to have a stable windows?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by titousky, Dec 23, 2013.

1. titousky

titousky MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2013
    #1 titousky, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    Hello,
    I have read the installation guide for windows 7 but I still have some questions,

I want the most stable windows experience possible (I know windows is crap but sadly I need it for some softwares and games).
    I plan to reformat my laptop, Asus G75wv with intel ssd 160go.
    Here is what I plan to do:

-a fresh install of windows 7 Pro x64 sp1 media refresh (link from digital river)
    Choose the Pro version because I have 24 go of ram.
    Seem easier to activate a pirated copy of win7 than win8.1, and my laptop was built for this OS in the start so I think it's better... Right?

-install all drivers from Asus website; I think it's better to download the drivers from Asus than to look for new update on each constructors websites because of compatibility issues... right?

-Activate with windows loader 2.2.1 by daz. (seem the most reliable... right?)

But what next? Should I let windows install all the updates automaticly or select just some of them? because there are HUNDREDS of updates, wtf!!! and why do they put newer versions of internet explorer in security update if they don't know if I'm going to use it or not?

Should I desable windows features like internet explorer and windows media player since I use chrome and vlc? Should I desable all of them even .net framwork 3.5.1?

After all these steps, when I finally have the cleaniest pc on earth, how to make a save for a quick recovery if something goes wrong (seem to happen a lot with windows), with a cracked version of norton ghost or built-in solution in windows or something else?

Pleast help me to see more clearly how to install this piece of crap correctly,
    A confused windows user.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. titousky

titousky MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2013
    Thanks guys :worthy:
    So it's more reliable to install the Simplix pack than to let windows install its updates one by one by itself?
    I will make a save recovery with Macrium Reflect Free.
    And after that, should I install all the Important, recommended, and optional updates?
    And still what about the windows feature I don't use like internet explorer, better to let them be, or to disable them?

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Welcome to completely the wrong forum to say that in

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #5 PhaseDoubt, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    Not exactly the best way to win friends, influence people and get help on a forum such as this one. It's not crap, it's just that some people can't do better than a crappy job.

MrMagic put it very well, maybe you should try in a more crap oriented forum.

6. Thvle

Thvle MDL Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Do not know if it's bad or not, but what is certain is that, reading the definition of "malware" Windows is malware. Windows has backdoors, among others.

7. titousky

titousky MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2013
    Sorry if I offended you, it's just that my computer always end up with problems after some time so I tend to blame the OS, didn't think you would take it personally o_O
    After all I use windows everyday since Windows 98SE ! Because in spite of all the flaw I find in it, it's still the most popular OS so everything is available for it.

8. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    @titousky: you have PEBCAC syndrome.
    Never had issues with Windows. Using it since Windows 3.1. I've got a single CIH infection on MS-DOS 6.22, but TBAV sorted that out eventually.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #9 PhaseDoubt, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    I tend to blame the user/installer. I've had pretty much 100% success with getting stable installations for years. Based on many threads read on this forum, I'd say that's the norm and not the exception among knowledgeable users.

I didn't take anything personally. You, like everybody else, are free to express your opinion and beliefs. But the simple fact is, if you want help from "Windows people" on a forum heavy into satisfied Windows users and "gurus", it's probably best not to start off talking about how crappy the OS is.

Lots of people on this site spend many many hours developing wonderful programs, scripts and such for Windows and other Microsoft products and then give them away ... at no cost! I doubt they believe all their efforts and time is spent on a crappy OS or other crappy Microsoft product.

10. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    PEBKAC error

11. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    We got you: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair. ;)

12. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Let's see now!!

13. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    I don't have that problem anymore!! I removed it and now I sit in that chair :biggrin5:

14. razRA

razRA MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Well a OS can run slow and getting errors if you have faulty hardware .. this is what I think.. :biggrin5:

15. titousky

titousky MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2013
    Maybe my next install of Windows will be bug-free thanks to your precious help,
    and who know... I could even begin to like it ;)
    Did'nt know the PEBKAC joke :biggrin5: must definitely have some part of this in my problem; but imo computer knowledge shouldn't be needed for correctly installing an OS o_O

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]oldsh_t your answer was really clear thanks.[/FONT]

Merry Christmas to all of you :)
    So... can I say that Asus is crape here? :D

16. dmau001

dmau001 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2013
    #16 dmau001, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
    Oh...:thumbsup:..Muahahahahaha

17. dmau001

dmau001 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2013
    You are on the right track, Titousky...Great suggestions from some Senior Members...At least you are in the right place for your crap!!!
    Merry Christmas, And A Great, Happy New Year!!!
    Cheers and Alohaz...

18. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Sure, you can say what you want ... that's the point. Results is really what counts though. Saying Asus is crap on this board will likely get few comments if any. Maybe some agreement. But if you were to go to an Asus dedicated board and disparage the product where all the Asus users and lovers hang out, well, you might get some unanticipated feedback there too.

19. titousky

titousky MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2013
    I did my backup with the windows 7 image system creation tool, because I don't see what TrueImage or Macrium Reflect have over it.