How to increase the internet connection limit...help

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Reginald_Rae, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reginald_Rae

Reginald_Rae MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    I want to increase my connection limit..what would i do?

2. Ankebut

Ankebut MDL Junior Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I read somewhere that this does not bring any performance boost...it is also not recommend to modify it!

3. -HITMAN-

-HITMAN- MDL Junior Member

Aug 19, 2009
    .. also Windows 7 is now set to unlimited half open connections by default!

4. NawtyBoy

NawtyBoy MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    Call your ISP and change your plan!

5. theporcupine

theporcupine MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
    Windows 7 will turn on a watermark just above the clock on the toolbar saying that you are running a "test version and your build number".
    The only way to fix is to edit the registry
    Also, Windows 7 does not need this patch as stated above

6. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    NOTHING!

Vista SP2 & W7 have no built-in connection limit.

Many ISPs however, are now throttling / shaping internet traffic, and older routers have connection limitations, especially if you are using wireless, but Windows no longer needs patches to have (theoretically) unlimited connections.

7. BTeasd

BTeasd MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    I have seen different posts regarding speed limits and restrictions placed on Internet connections within windows 7. My connection however has actually increased in speed. When I download from a private top release site I get over 2.5 MB per second. On vista I would max out about 1.85 megabits per second. That extra 650 K per second shaves off quite a bit of time when downloading large files.

8. iakinthos

iakinthos MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Go to Device Manager and double clik your Network Adapter.
    Go to Advance tab and check anything have to say about Speed and Duplex or similar like that.
    By default must be to ''auto''
    Turn it to 100Mbps Full Duplex or something like that, but to be 100Mbps Full.
    Then check anything says Interrupt Modaration or something like that,, to be Enabled.
    Then check anything says Large Send Offload(IPv4), or similar like that, to be Enabled.
    Then check anything says about TCP Checksum Offload(IPv4) and TCP Checksum Offload(IPv6) and UDP Checksum Offload(IPv4) and UDP Checksum Offload(IPv6) or similar like that, to be Tx & Rx Enabled.
    Click OK and exit from Device Manager;)

9. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    soon traffic prioritization will be illegal in the US if the net neutrality laws pass.

As far as problems are you having slow downloads, or dropping connections or what?

Messing with TCP/IP settings can be both good/bad. If you change your TTL or packet sizes and your ISP or router doesn't support the MTU size it will start dropping packets or if you change your TTL it could start dropping packets too.

Unless you have an app that needs large windows (such as iSCSI), read the documentation about the settings to use. Right now I have jumbo packets enabled on my iSCSI NICs and GiG-E NICs because they support larger sizes and the hardware I have can handle the traffic.

10. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    so the connections limit is gone in Win7 ? I think that's very strange, because in Win7, I get the same slow speeds and few connections as I did in Vista and XP¨before setting the multiple connections to a max through some patch or tweak.

The low amount of connections i get through a torrent-app has always been a fair indicator for me that this connections limit was in affect,
    and low and behond, same s**t happens in Win7 (very low amount of connections and low speeds).
    Then, when I change my dual-boot to xp (which is patched for unlimited connections), i get hundreds of connections in the same app for the same dl's. both xp and win7 are configured in exactly the same way.

Note that i have allways taken in account this limit in windows, and i think i know when i'm hassled by this limitation, and i noticed this from the very first day i've been using win7.

To me, that's proof that this connections limit can't be turned off at default.
    Otherwise the down and upload results through torrent-apps would be virtually the same in both winxp and win7, which they aren't by far...

11. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    That is why you don't download torrents. They are P2P so they are going to be flaky. Just use FilesTube to search and rapidshare to download. You could alternatively use newsgroups and a nzb searcher.

12. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    yeah, allready know that for years. :rolleyes:
    that's not my point, and it isn't a solution to the problem. I'm giving a fairly certain opinion that half-open connections in win7 AREN'T set to unlimited by default, BECAUSE of slow speeds and LIMITED connections in FOR EXAMPLE p2p-apps.

excuse my CAPS, but maybe this will clarify somewhat... :D

13. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    and if these slow speeds and limited connections (in these p2p apps) are a result of being "flaky" in win7, then they should be "flaky" in winxp also, which ISN't the case here. So we can all conclude here that these limited connections in these p2p apps in win7 aren't because they're p2p or because they're "flaky".

if half-open connections are set to unlimited, then the amount of connections should be very high, ESPECIALLY in p2p apps, cause in p2p apps they matter most. :D

so when a p2p app is set to, let's say 1500 global connections and 150 per dl, then u should get an amount of connections very close to these settings.
    In winXP patched, it's allways the case. But in win7 this never happens.

And btw, who cares about more than 20 half-open connections or more when dl via newsgroups or rapidshare. U won't need it ! :rolleyes:

That's why, instead of dl'ing through p2p and rapidshare, i now dl only through rapidshare, so it's the same for me.
    I'm just making my point that I'm not convinced AT ALL that these half open connections in win7 are set to unlimited by default. They just can't...

14. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    and there are a lot of better ways to search rapidshare imho, but every dog has it's own bone i guess :D

15. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    So if anyone has a defence concerning this, or can give me a black on white proof that i'm wrong, now is the time.

If not, then now is a good time to conclude that half-open connections in win7 are NOT set to unlimited, and then this topic can be closed :p

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    and to answer to an 5 years old thread is what?:director:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...