How to install 64 bits W7 on Dell XPS 400

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by goober70, Nov 3, 2009.

1. goober70

goober70 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    Hi,

I need your help. I follow your instruction to create a bootable DVD for 64bit . After the DVD has started to run then the message "Starting Window" appear and it just hang there. ....!!! I need your help. How do I go to the next step.

Information about my machine:
    Dell XPS 400, Pentium D, 8gig of ram
    Bios version xp051-A07
    Current OS: window XP professional

2. moosh101

moosh101 MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Win7 Install

Hi there,

I could be caused by a number of things, such as a slow cpu, slow hard disk, slow DVD drive, etc. You may have to wait a while, anything up to 10-30 minutes, for the Setup program to scan your hardware and do all its computations before it gets to the install screen, but it will get there in the end. Just be a little patient. This slowness is only related to the Setup utility that installs Windows 7, once Windows is installed your computer should run fine.

Good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. goober70

goober70 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    help

Hi,

My computer CPU speed is 2.8ghz and it is dual core and 8gig of ram.
    I think it is o.k for me to upgrade to win7 64 bit.

The "Starting window" message just hang there for hours (overnight).

Can some one help me to overcome this problem ?

Thank you

4. Servi

Servi MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
    #4 Servi, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    Try disconnecting all USB devices besides keyboard (installation should be possible without a mouse I think, using TAB and up/down keys).
    Second step would be disconnecting all unneeded PCI cards and unneeded optical drives, if there are any.

My laptop hangs up during boot from DVD when I have my good old PS/2 mouse with USB to PS/2 adapter connected to it. It took me a long time to find out what's wrong.

If that doesn't help, install Windows from an USB flash drive with 4 GB or more.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    This is what I told you to try in the other thread you opened.

Have you tried to do any of my steps, if so which ones and what was the outcome.

Later

6. goober70

goober70 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    Try it but it is still hang

Hi EveryOne,

Thank you for the sugguestion.

I have tried all the things, remove everything except my usb keyboard
    and it is still hang there. I wait for 2 hours but there is nothing happen..

Please help me....
    I also checked on the bios there is nothing for me to change....!!!

The only remaining is my graphic card (PCI card) but I make sure my bios
    is using PEG mode not PCI mode.

7. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Try removing your video card and running the onboard video during the install.

Remove all but what you absolutely have to have to install the OS.
    Keep - Power Supply, CPU/MB, DVD-ROM, Onboard video, 1-2 gigs of ram
    Remove/Unplug everything else and try a PS2 keyboard (if you have the port).

Try updating BIOS to A07 if not already.

And double check that the hard drive controller option in your BIOS is set to SATA and NOT AHCI.

8. Rytiss

Rytiss MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2009
    #8 Rytiss, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  9. domatlapuk

domatlapuk MDL Expert

Sep 12, 2009
    You might one to try install on the USB, it's much faster than DVD rom..

10. goober70

goober70 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    problem solve - memory problem

I follow every single sugguestion and finally I found one.

It is a memory issue. Before I installed Window 7, I bought 8gig of memory.
    Since my previous os 32bit (window xp), it can only know up to 4gig
    so I don't have this hanging problem. However, when I install Window 7, the os is now aware of 8gig of memory and it does not allow me....I really don't know why....!!!

I remove 4gig out and now I can get my machine to run and install the window7.

I will post another question in different thread why window7 can not handle 8gig of memory ? My memory type is: 240pin , DDR2 800Mhz - PC 6400, each piece is 2gig

Thank you every one for your help

11. Comynn

Comynn MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2011
    problem solve - memory problem

Goober70 said:
    Not to sound condescending or anything, but the Dell site *did* say that the XPS 400 motherboard would *only* handle up to a maximum of 4gb of memory. Granted, I know that the 64-bit OS will see the 8gb of memory, but only if the MB is capable of handling that much memory. Until Dell goes and places something on their site that explicitly states that the MB can/will be able to handle above the 4gb threshhold, then its safer to follow the manufacturer's guidelines.

Comynn
    :rolleyes: