How to install Arch Linux (video)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by R29k, Feb 27, 2016.

1. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    #1 R29k, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Nice tutorial you found on Youtube.

Usually I install 'iw, wpa_supplicant, dialog and wifi-menu' as I use a WLAN PCI-E addon instead of LAN.
    Then I setup my box in UEFI with systemd as bootloader and sometimes setup DMcrypt with Luks and LVM structure for multiple partitions.
    In UEFI I replace 'cfdisk' by 'gdisk', calculate from mind and paper the partition sizes in sectors (because why not) and create 3 partitions (BOOT, OS, HOME) and no swap (16GiB RAM).

As groups for users I only add 'wheel' and add wheel to '/etc/sudoers' using 'nano' and let the rest of the permissions be handled by Polkit.
    For the shell I usually install and setup ZSH using 'grml-zsh-config' (a bunch of configuration files containing presets like auto-completion or themes ready to use) I also install 'pkgfile' to allow the command-not-found hook in ZSH to find packages in the repository for commands which do not exist.

As DE I adore Cinnamon with Numix theme, but I am also like of KDE for desktops or Gnome3 for touch-screens.
    As DM I usually install LXDM because of it's lightness. But if I install KDE or Gnome3 I usually do SDDM or GDM.

My boot time from a X102B (4GiB RAM, A4-1200 1Ghz CPU and a SSD) from turn on till desktop with autologin and DMcrypt is 14 seconds

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...