How to Install Java Runtime Environment on Windows 8 Pro 64 bits

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by TecMan, Aug 23, 2012.

1. TecMan

TecMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi Friends:

I tried two times to install Java Runtime Environment on Windows 8 Pro 64 bits and in both times, I had the following error when I tried to Verify Java Version:

Java Plug-in 11.0.0.52
    Using JRE version 1.8.0-ea-b52 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
    User home directory = C:\Users\MyUsername
    ----------------------------------------------------
    c: clear console window
    f: finalize objects on finalization queue
    g: garbage collect
    h: display this help message
    l: dump classloader list
    m: print memory usage
    o: trigger logging
    q: hide console
    r: reload policy configuration
    s: dump system and deployment properties
    t: dump thread list
    v: dump thread stack
    x: clear classloader cache
    0-5: set trace level to <n>
    ----------------------------------------------------

cristiano.orlando, MDL Novice PMed me the following comment (Thanks):

Download the full JRE from oracle, both x86 and x64, offline installers (each file about 28 - 30mb)

Install both versions and it will work (i have x64 here too, and it worked that way)

Maybe its something buggy at the online installer

ok...let me try to write the procedure Step-by-Step of How to install Java Runtime Environment on Windows 8 Pro 64 bits:

1. goto java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
    2. Download and Install Windows Offline (32-bit)
    3. Download and Install Windows Offline (64-bit)
    4. After installing Java, restart your browser
    5. goto java.com/en/download/installed.jsp to Verify Java Version has been installed correctly

Can you validate this procedure?

Thanks

TecMan
    OS (for the moment): Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits

2. lunario

lunario MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2012
    java is working here mate, just download both offline installers (you only need those )

3. TecMan

TecMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi lunario:

Thanks for your reply...2-questions:

1. Do you have Windows 8 Pro 64bits in your PC?
    2. Can you validate the 5-Steps Procedure about How to install Java Runtime Environment on Windows 8 Pro 64 bits?

Thanks

TecMan

4. eydee

eydee Guest

I didn't need any magic trick. Just downloaded the default (online) installer and it installed fine without any issues.

5. TecMan

TecMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi lunario:

Thanks for your reply...I need your help...

1. Did you verify Java Version at java.com/en/download/installed.jsp? (Step #5 for How to install Java Runtime Environment on Windows 8 Pro 64 bits)
    2. Can you goto freechess.org/Login/jin/applet.php and check if ask for username and password? (it's a test)

Sorry for my last questions, but I want to be sure if Java Runtime Environment works on Windows 8 Pro 64 bits

Thanks in Advanced,

TecMan

6. lunario

Aug 5, 2012
    ok here I could login as guest to the chess server and yes I verify java version ( I never had any prob with java since dev preview )

7. TecMan

TecMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi lunario & Friends:

Bad News for me...I installed Windows 8 Pro 64 bits and as soon as the first reboot...I installed Java Runtime Environment with the 5-Steps...worked Verify Java Version and freechess.org...but next time when I tried to test again...Java Runtime Environment didn't works...had the same error

Maybe, we need to Java update its Java Runtime Environment for Windows 8...or...What do you recommend me to fix this problem?

Thanks

TecMan

8. lunario

Aug 5, 2012
    #9 lunario, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
    if tou have Using JRE version 1.8.0-ea-b52 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM uninstall it and make sure you only have jre-7u6-windows-i586 and jre-7u6-windows-x64

and make sure IE has the plugin enabled and try to do test in another browser

9. TecMan

TecMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi lunario:

Thanks again for your reply...I only installed jre-7u6-windows-i586 and jre-7u6-windows-x64 and I had the same error...Using JRE version 1.7.0-ea-b52 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM...maybe they are not compatible with Windows 8 Pro 64 bits.

Thanks anyway

TecMan

10. dreamss

dreamss MDL Junior Member

Apr 7, 2009
    #11 dreamss, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
    i had no issues instaling java, i just grabbed the JDK for 32bit and 64bit (jdk-7u6-windows-i586.exe / jdk-7u6-windows-x64.exe) or (jdk-6u34-windows-i586.exe / jdk-6u34-windows-x64.exe )(from (htt p://w ww.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/ind ex.h tml) and that installed JRE (i had unistall 7 and install 6 cause my android apps had issues signing)

Congratulations!
    You have the recommended Java installed (Version 6 Update 34).

11. TecMan

TecMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi dreamss:

Thanks for your reply!!!...your recommendation is working!!!...I installed jdk-6u34-windows-i586.exe & jdk-6u34-windows-x64.exe and I could Verify Java Version and it worked on freechess.org...

Thank you very much,

TecMan

12. dreamss

dreamss MDL Junior Member

Apr 7, 2009
    sure np glad to see it worked

13. ozky

ozky MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2012
    Note that metro do not support plugins so you need to use desktop version of internet browser to use java in internet,only supported plugin is flash no silverlight no java and that's good there is big security hole in java 7 what not fixed yet.

14. narabitz

narabitz MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2012
    Thank you! I was going crazy with Java problems until I came across this forum. It's working great now! Again thanks!