How to install my modded BIOS?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by ReaLiTY, Jun 12, 2010.

1. ReaLiTY

ReaLiTY MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2007
    #1 ReaLiTY, Jun 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
    Hi guys. I'm a total newbie to this BIOS mod thing. I found some guides and read what a BIOS is all about. I didn't want to make another request thread for a BIOS, so after searching for 2hrs I think i found a modded bios which another user has already requested here:

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/5864-Phoenix-bios-SLIC-mod-requests-%28*.WPH-or-*.ROM-files%29.?p=164995#post164995

I have the Daz loader installed, so i am guessing I have to uninstall that first.
    How do i install this new modded BIOS? Can someone guide me please and thank you very much.

BTW: This is for Windows 7 Ultimate.
    SONY VGN-NR120E Laptop
    BIOS Type: Phoenix
    BIOS Version: R0131J9

Hopefully that modded BIOS posted by Busykid508 is the right one for me and its confirmed working.

Have a nice day.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Flash it the same way that you would flash a normal unmodded bios. Refer to your manual or online manuals on your computer for more info on how to flash it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ReaLiTY

ReaLiTY MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2007
    #4 ReaLiTY, Jun 12, 2010
    (OP)

Are the tools to flashing a BIOS different for every BIOS? In my particular case, what tool am I suppose to use?

4. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    #5 NoJuan999, Jun 12, 2010
    Busykid probably included the proper DOS Flash Utility with the Modified BIOS.
    If NOT ask or look in the Phoenix Request Thread and see what they recommend for your Bios.

5. ReaLiTY

ReaLiTY MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2007
    #6 ReaLiTY, Jun 12, 2010
    (OP)
    Yup. thanks for the tip. I'll check it out ASAP.

EDIT: I got this error:

img811.imageshack.us/img811/1267/62337797.png

Is the modded BIOS faulty?

Any ideas?

6. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
    Busykid Wrote:

7. ReaLiTY

ReaLiTY MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2007
    Thx for the reply NoJuan999, I tried Winflash and it said "Can't Read the system information"

So I went for the other method BIOS.BAT in SONY FLASH UTILITY XP folder and I got that error posted above.

What am I doing wrong?

Also I read some other instructions saying to make a bootable USB drive and I did and I extracted the modded BIOS to the USB drive. Whats next? I was a bit confused after that...

8. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
  9. ReaLiTY

ReaLiTY MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2007
    Oh the original BIOS i have atm is fine, nothing changed as it couldn't due to the problem =/
    I do not need to recover the bios. I just need to install the modded bios. When you say flashing from DOS do you mean using the bootable USB drive i made and working from there? instead of using the windows programs.

10. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
    You can use one of the Recovery Methods to Flash the modified BIOS instead of the original.
    Yes flashing from DOS = Flashing from a Bootable USB, Floppy or CD in DOS (NOT Windows).

11. ReaLiTY

ReaLiTY MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2007
    I will try flashing from DOS. Which option do I select in the BIOS Boot Priority order? I see so many USB options...

USB Flash Drive
    USB Optical Drive
    USB Hard Disk Drive

12. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
    USB Flash Drive should work if you're using a USB Flash Drive.
    USB Optical if you're using a USB CD Drive.

13. ReaLiTY

ReaLiTY MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2007
    sorry my mistake. External Boot option was disabled by default in BIOS so i had to change that, I now see the Windows 98 Boot screen now..

it says

C:\ >

Whats after that?

14. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
    Now Read the Recovery Methods in that thread I linked and just use the modified Bios instead of the original in the steps listed.

15. ReaLiTY

ReaLiTY MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2007
    Damn sry 30min late for work. I'll get back to this later. Also could you please verify this:

forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/246530-how-flash-your-bios-dos-using-usb-stick.html

This method looks a lot simpler, I just have to type refresh in the command line and it starts flashing the BIOS..

Does this method look valid to you?

Thanks for the continuous help :)

16. ReaLiTY

ReaLiTY MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2007
    This bios thing isnt workng out for me. I think i'll stick to the Daz loader 1.8.2 for now. Hopefully that works permanently

Thanks for all the help though

17. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
    That definitely sounds like it would be the Best Option for you.

18. abuttino

abuttino MDL Junior Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Someone that doesn't know how to flash bios, probably shouldn't bother with doing this. You risk bricking your motherboard.

If you want to learn about flashing bios, learn without modded bios first so there is less risk of a brick.

19. TrySoft

TrySoft MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2010
    I am a newbie but I modified my ASUS Rampage GENE II v 1307 on the second attempt. I would have done it on the first attempt if I had not been so worried about turning it into a brick. What I feared most actually was not turning my computer into a brick but the inevitable cocktail party questions about it. Something like ...

Annoying Friend: So Harry (name changed to protect the technically challenged), how is that new computer?
    Harry: It is a brick.
    Annoying Friend: So, is that a good thing?
    Harry: No, but that is what the guys on My Digital Life Forums call it.
    Annoying Friend: Tried to flash your BIOS with a Mod, didn’t you?
    Harry: Speaker of flashers, how is your Uncle Charlie doing?

I am rewriting the various step-by-step instructions and would like to post them somewhere. Can someone advise me where is the best location?

Thanks for all the great Info!!!