How to install program files on different drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Confused32, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Confused32

Confused32 MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2011
    In the past I made an unattended install of windows 7, which put the program files and program files x86 files on a different drive to the rest of the files (1, as unlike user folders can't be relocated afterwards, and as I was using a 60gb ssd for the main drive.

I can't for the life of me find how I did it, or the disc I created, does anyone know how you do this withi the unattended.xml?

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Sure they can. Open "Properties" for a given user folder and click the "Location" tab. Change the location to wherever you like. You'll be asked if you want to create a new folder that doesn't exist and do you want to move all your files. I'd think you'd respond "Yes" to both questions.

As to installing programs on a different drive, if the installation program allows it as a custom option just choose the drive and folder and install the program. But 100% of a program's installation may not be on the other drive. Office for instance still installs a significant portion of the program on drive C:. Other less complex programs may put the complete program on the other drive and some programs I've notice give you no choice ... C: it is.

As to the unintended aspect ... I got no clue.

3. Experties

Experties MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2014
    The 64bit version has two versions of regedit. Make this change as well:
    1.) Enter into Start>Run: %systemroot%\syswow64\regedit
    2.) Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion
    3.) Change the Path in DWORDs ProgramFilesDir, ProgramFilesDir (x86) to the new path, probably just changing the drive letter.

4. GarryH_Geek

GarryH_Geek MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2013
    In addition to previous methods I mention some program installers allow user to select where the program files will be installed. For me it is a sort of savoir faire​ from developers.