How to install win 7 x64 on new acer pc with win 10 gpt uefi bios

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jet29, Apr 25, 2016.

1. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    i have got a new pc with win 10 on it acer e15-573 i3 5005u, it has uefi bios and gpt partitions, how do i go about installing win 7 side by side with win 10. i split the h/d into 2 500mb, i tried booting win 7 but it got stuck error can not install tp gpt disk. i am researching but if someone can clarify or show me steps please, thanks

2. mabaega

mabaega MDL Senior Member

Dec 30, 2010
    if u have installed windows 10 x64, u can install win7 x64 from setup.exe and select partition/drive where u want to install.

3. potlepel

potlepel MDL Novice

Sep 28, 2010
    windows 7 use MBR Disk
    Convert GPT disk to MBR disk

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #4 Enthousiast, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    To create an UEFI/GPT bootable/installable Win 7 x64 USB thumbdrive:

Extract the win 7 x64 iso to an usb thumbdrive (FAT32 formatted).
    Open the file: "\sources\install.wim\1" with 7zip
    Create this folder structure: "USB:\EFI\boot"
    Copy the file: "7z\windows\boot\efi\bootmgfw.efi" to the "USB:\EFI\boot" folder and rename it: "bootx64.efi"
    Boot with the USB thumbdrive

5. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    hi, so do i have to conver hd to mbr, or shall i just make the usb as above and install as is?

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You're on a GPT system, so converting to MBR also applies to the existing win 10 install. I would do the USB option and install 7 Pro x64 next to the existing 10 on GPT, and activate with KMSpico or MTK.

7. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    ok i will have a go later on and let u know what happens, thanks so far !!!

8. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Besides not being too smart I'm also lazy :eek: so I use the USB2 port instead of installing USB3 drivers on the USB ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    i am having problems creating this folder on the extracted usb it is not letting me do it. how to do it?

10. garlic

garlic MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2015
    #10 garlic, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    You need to have a Windows 7 64-bit USB flash drive that is compatible with UEFI mode. As long as it is FAT32 formatted and has \efi\boot\bootx64.efi file, it should be UEFI bootable.

The easiest method to do this, would be to use Rufus: hxxp://rufus.akeo.ie/

Rufus automatically creates the boot folder in the efi folder and puts the bootx64.efi in the folder.

- Download and run the Rufus program.
    - Connect your USB flash drive.
    - Click on the browse icon and select your Windows 7 64-bit ISO image file.
    - Under Partition scheme and target system type, select GPT partition scheme for UEFI.
    - Under File system, select FAT32.
    - The default Cluster size setting is automatically detected, so do not change the setting.
    - Click on Start button.

If you have an OEM PC that came with Windows 8/8.1/10 preinstalled and you want to install Windows 7, then you must disable Secure Boot in UEFI BIOS, because Secure Boot is not compatible with Windows 7.

Most UEFI include a feature called the Compatibility Support Module (CSM), aka "legacy boot support" or something similar. The CSM enables an UEFI to boot an OS that's designed to boot in BIOS mode. Windows 7/8/10 can boot in either BIOS mode or in UEFI mode.

Quote from Wikipedia: Compatibility Support Module (CSM) may still need to be turned on in UEFI mode to install Windows 7 in UEFI mode to GPT partitions because of some option ROMs being different between native UEFI mode (without CSM) and hybrid UEFI mode (with CSM).

You must boot the installation media as a UEFI device.
    - Reboot PC and enter the boot menu by pressing Esc, F8, F9, F10, F11 or F12.
    - Select the name of your USB flash drive. If you have CSM enabled in UEFI BIOS you will see it twice, but one will have a UEFI: prefix, select that.

11. kunjar

kunjar MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2012
    #12 kunjar, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    I hope im not hijacking this thread but I currently have a similar issue in that I am trying to install windows 7 Ultimate x64 to my new HP 15-AH150SA which came with Win 10 Home x64. My situation is that on my HDD, I have a few recovery partitions plus the main windows partition which is around 1.8TB. Now, can I make a smaller partition of say 40gb as part of/out of this 1.8TB so that I can install Win 7 Ultimate to it? Then perhaps activate with Daz loader and then wait for the Win 10 Pro upgrade offer?

I am looking to upgrade my preinstalled Win 10 Home x64 to Win 10 Pro x64. Which method would be the simplest and least painful? Alternatively which method would be the most thorough and better in the long term? Ideally I would like to retain all my current files and settings.

Or can this be done using Win 8?

Ive attached a shot of what Disk Management reports.

Kind Regards.

Attached Files:

12. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    thanks for all the replies, i also managed to figure it out, but it wont let me install to the current gpt setup and does not let me proceed installing to new partition, i think everything has to be deleted, like the post above i have a new acer e15-573 437k with win 10 x64 installed, i updated to latest bios, i chose legacy bios, windows setup starts and at the stage where to install it does not let me choose the partition, next is greyed out and it says cannot be installed to gpt etc.
    all i want is to retain the current setup of win 10 and put win 7 on separate partion on this disk, has anybody done this, i dont want to wipe hd as i think has to be done.

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Legacy bios uses MBR by default, your legit win 10 runs on UEFI/GPT, that's why modding the win 7 x64 iso was mentioned. When you have done the steps i showed on a win 7 x64 iso it would just have installed. Did you try to disable secure boot? I don't feal confident enough to give more help, what i see is you crippling a brand new system only to get 7 on it.

14. garlic

garlic MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2015
    Error message when you boot from the Windows installation media in Legacy BIOS mode: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

- That is because Windows can only be installed to MBR disk in Legacy BIOS mode, but you plan to install Windows on a GPT disk.

- Boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI mode, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).

hxxp://i.imgur.com/EnObTF7.png

15. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    when i try to boot in ufei mode it stops booting up and says boot protection your system does not all8w booting etc i made the usb per rufus but it only shows up once and does not show uefi next to it, i think this acer m/b has been restricted from installing win 7. as it only shows win 10 drivers in acer support.
    any other ideas please

16. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I think it's because secure boot is "ON" (as i said in my last reply) but i'm not confident enough to say: "disable secure boot" when the recipient doesn't really know what he's doing (imho).

17. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    i have been using pc`s for a long time, its just that this is my first laptop with a uefi bios all prev lap had legacy bios, i disabled uefi which automatically stops secure boot, there not many items that can be altered in this acer bios, it boots into loading windows but gets stck and doesnt allow me to use the partition and says it is a gpt style part, when i try to run usb as efi it does not boot under uefi and says security boot etc

19. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    #20 Bat.1, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    If You can get access to a 16GB or larger USB drive try using the torrent from the link I sent you. Put your USB drive in the USB2 port and when You enter BIOS turn off Secure Boot and set the first boot order to the UEFI partition of the flash drive instead of the MBR partition. Should work ? The torrent is over 15 Months old so You can use the Simplix Pack to bring the OS up to date. That is, IF you're able to find all the drivers ?
    Now Activation, Well that's another story