How to Install windows 7 in external hard disk

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by hjharshraj, Feb 12, 2010.

1. hjharshraj

hjharshraj MDL Junior Member

Sep 7, 2009
    #1 hjharshraj, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
    Hello friends

I have a laptop compaq Hp 6710s, and i buy anexternal hard disk of seaget (500 GB), i tried to install Windows 7/Windows xp on it, but it failed to install and said setup cannot complete on drive connected by usb..

It also ask for driver

Pls help me to do this... How can i install windows 7/Windows xp on external harddisk:confused:

sorry for my poor english

2. hjharshraj

hjharshraj MDL Junior Member

Sep 7, 2009
    is it possible by anyway or not

3. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #4 Rosco, Mar 27, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
    How about using an external drive/case which supports E-Sata/USB - installing as normal sata then connecting as a USB ? Of course you need a computer on which to plug it in as either Sata or E-Sata.

I haven't tried this out as I use my E-Sata/USB drive on my TV as a recording/playback device but I think it would work as the device handles all the Sata / USB stuff - when I connect it to my computer to save any recordings I connect as E-Sata with no problems - USB on the TV.

When connected to my computer as either E-Sata or USB it shows up in the bootable devices list so I can't see any reason it shouldn't work - I could be wrong though.

Also - Acronis TrueImage 2010 lets you create a complete system image and can save it as a Windows VHD image and add it to your bootmanager so you can boot it to test it - only windows 7 will boot by this method - it runs as a full virtual system right from the vhd file - I see no reason you couldn't try this out on a USB drive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...