How to install Windows 7 on a PC with less than 512MB RAM

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by catalinoo9, Jan 20, 2010.

1. catalinoo9

catalinoo9 MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    #1 catalinoo9, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
    According to those at Microsoft, you need the following configuration you can run Windows 7 on a PC:

- 1 GHz processor or better on (32bit) or (64bit)
    -1GB Memory RAM (32bit) or 2GB RAM (64bit)
    -16GB free hard disk space (32bit) or 20GB on (64bit)
    - A DirectX 9 compatible video card with WDDM driver 1.0 or newer

But we know that Windows does not eat as much memory as Windows Vista. So a PC with 512MB RAM or less can run the new version of Windows, well, someone has tried on a computer with only 96MB RAM. But if you try to install Windows 7 on a computer older than 4 years and has less RAM 512MB install will tell you that your memory is not sufficient, and Windows 7 installation will stop. Any ideas?

1. Extract the ISO image files from Windows 7
    2. Download and install the editor dll, AptEdit Pro, or WinHex such
    3. Open the source folder winsetup.dll
    4. Search string 77073D7801
    5. Change it to E90400000
    6. Save and then close the application
    7. Recreate ISO image with new configuration and restart the installation.

Does anyone else have another idea?

2. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Why not just get more RAM... it's dirt cheap nowadays! W7 will run a lot slicker for one thing!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. chochitoca

chochitoca MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2008
    Thanks.
    I will try it on my old dell.

4. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Yes, why don't you buy a PC with >512MB RAM? It's really cheap even you buy a OEM desktop comp.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Melvarius

Melvarius MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2009
    Cool. Thanks for the tip bud.

I've got some old IDE Drives I'd like to use for Backup storage on my network. Only problem is my main system is SATA only. I do have a clapped out 10 year old system (500Mhz Athlon proc. 128Mb ram) As far as I know the memory is maxed out. It ain't gonna be fast but who cares all I need it for is accessing my IDE hardware via the network. Yes I could just use XP but i've not used XP in years and I'm accustomed to the Vista, Win 7 directory structure and control pannel.

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

6. vdl68

vdl68 MDL Junior Member

Sep 11, 2009
    You can do anything anything if you set your mind to it is that old saying...but it's not too "logical" to installing Win 7 with >512meg, sure it will run, but run as a old dog on it's last leg... ;) but more memory is worth it! ;)

The 1gig is a "sweet spot" with Vista. You can tell a drastic difference change from 512.. ;)

7. killer47

killer47 MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2010
    hey you try to buy 1GB ram its enough for win 7 not for vista..

8. SumoX

SumoX MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Thanks catalinoo9, a good tip...

To all those who suggest buy more RAM... Excellent tip (I never thought of that) wow

I challenge anyone to find 1GB of EDO RAM for sale on the net....:eek:

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  10. SumoX

SumoX MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Heheheee... Nice one urie... Not too sure it would work in a normal end user board though?

11. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    I would definitely recommend more RAM for your PC... Even if you were able to get Windows 7 installed on that computer, you would not have a good Windows 7 experience at all. Windows wouldnt have enough RAM and would have to constantly be transferring data from RAM to the page file on the HD, and vice-versa...drastically slowing your computer's performance.

If I were you I would stick with Windows XP on that computer until you are able to get at least a gig of RAM in there (minimum). You will be much happier, or at least much less frustrated... :p

12. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Although without at least 512 you would enjoy no eye candy whatsoever, and have slow performance and lags so its not really worth it. That being said, "vlite" has the option to make it install vista (same for 7) with only 256 meg. You could use that program with only that option enabled and go from there.

13. laughingbro

laughingbro MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2009
    Hi catalinoo9, Just a sharing! I tried to run windows 7 at 512MB Ram, CPU - Athlon x64 3000, 1.8Ghz.. It is running fine.

14. hahihou

hahihou MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2010
    I think the win 7 RC will work but not the RTM.

15. searchengine

searchengine Guest

absolutely pointless ... there is a reason MS posted advised minimum specifications required to install/run Win7.

yep, that about sums it up. :biggrin:

16. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Man, get a life. If you do not have a PC that meets the minimum spec then do not ask really pointless question!

sebus

17. SumoX

SumoX MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Well said... Spoken from a person who has life experience... In their time has assembled a collection of old PC's, but does not want to throw them away (why? they still work fine!).
    Yeah you really know what you are talking about!:worthy:

18. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Dudes... Maybe it's not really usable to run it on such a small amount of ram, but it's fun to try it. It's already said that he can buy more ram, so not everyone have to say it again.

19. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    there is no way around it. Windows PE requires at least 512mb of RAM, without 512 PE will not boot.

20. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    Windows Tiny 7 but it'll also run smooth on 1gb ram.. i guess..
    Note: Win tiny 7 is modded.. so, no guarantee for trouble..