How to install Windows 7 to a USB Stick

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by korn2008, Sep 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. korn2008

korn2008 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    I would like to install Windows 7 to an USB Stick. (32 GB)
    How to do this? Win 7 can't find my USB Stick when I want to install Win 7.
    Thx in advance.

2. nlspecial

nlspecial MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2008
    #2 nlspecial, Sep 26, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
    please delete. typo

3. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    He said to a stick, not from a stick...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    As far as i know this is more trouble than it is worth because all these write-cycles an OS would torture the stick with would brick the stick faster than you can say 'damn, bluescreen'...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Not as big a deal anymore, with the larger USB drives one can expect a good lifespan even in read-write mode.

100,000 cycles x 32 GB = 3.2 million GB of data needs to be written before this particular drive will die. Then again there is the EWFilter from Windows Embedded which will give you a read-only OS, and the drive will never die. (kinda like a non-persistent drive from VMware - but with EWF you can have choice to save or discard changes from session)

Still, after switching to eSATA, haven't really been a fan of USB booting, just not enough read/write throughput.

6. kkdai

kkdai MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    "I would like to install Windows 7 to an USB Stick. (32 GB) "???don't understnad!

7. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Huh

Did you not read the few posts above ^^^

At this time nobody knows how to do it, if they do they are not talking about it.

Mfk

8. devil8080

devil8080 MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2009
    on a 32 gb pen drive its a pointless and worthless waste of time and effort. if you are planning to do it on a usb hard drive. i mean a real usb hard drive and not a pen drive i can help you with it. else you can try the windows embedded standard 2009 its pretty decent and can do more tricks.
    and frankly i dont understand windows 7 requires a lot of ram and then you are on a pen drive and as mr jinje said its true just that the 100,000 is not standard its the old standard now we got a 10-20 million cycle drives also with fast IO processing. but then again? i still dont understand windows will complain and nag about ram memory et al, how will you fix such an issue.
    if you *MUST* require my opinion/advice? go ahead with the embedded edition and it wont take more than a few GB as the image max if build with all wont cross 600.... ummmmm plus minus 600 MiB, then agin mileage vaires. YMMV = your mileage may vary.
    they also give away free serial numbers, which will be valid for one year, and the actual serial number with 10 year support to OEM and ODM but then again, if you want a full blown OS? try the embedded one. and if you are looking for a consistent one? then go with windows embedded/Linux/BSD, i can write a step by step guide. and someone may write the code and end up making as a batch file. hehe too much work. common, other also contribute.... ;-)
    -29A

9. SvenP

SvenP MDL Junior Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Problem solved by iMortaluz

Google "imortaluz elite underground" to find readymade solutions!
    Both x86 and x64 are available.

10. martincrow

martincrow MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2011
    Your question is not clear to anyone here, you just said to a USB stick but how can imagine between pen drive stick or usb hard drive,

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ SvenP and martincrow, you both have replied to questions over a year and a half old closing this thread.