How to install windows 7 to c:\winnt folder?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by patriotzhou, Feb 18, 2010.

1. patriotzhou

patriotzhou MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    Hi all,I am trying to install windows 7 to c:\winnt or any other folder names,any idea?
    Default,windows 7 will install to c:\windows,how to change the default folder?
    Thank you.

2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Why would you want to change that?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. patriotzhou

patriotzhou MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    long story,currently xp is installed to c:\winnt,so for win 7,we want to retain same folder(c:\winnt).
    I searched online,can not find anything,so any idea,thanks.

4. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    that's the default setting for OS, not like a software that you can choose a destination to store the core program files.

maybe u can do this with the help of another computer, paste the system files into the specified folder. I haven't try it before so u should backup your system before doing this, or use vmware.

I doubt that is it necessary not to move the boot files from C:\ to C:\winnt?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    ...and the benefit of this change would be????

6. patriotzhou

patriotzhou MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    thanks everyone!
    what I want is install the windows 7 to c:\winnt,just like windows 2000(just the %systemroot% would be c:\winnt,not default c:\windows).I know windows 2k/xp/2k3 can change the %systemroot% name during the setup,but how come windows 7 can not,not sure about vista.

7. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I know that in win95 setup (probably also win98) you could chose, but don't know for win7/vista.
    Anyway, when the windows folder is somewhere (even just in one place) hardcoded than it's not possible

8. MadSheep!

MadSheep! MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2009
    besides the visual thing is anything other that can help you with that change?

9. Stormcrow

Stormcrow MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Could be he has some badly-written apps or scripts are hard-coded to the old path.

Regardless of *why* he wants to do it, it would be good to allow users to select the installation path if they wanted to.

--
    SC

10. carbuck

carbuck MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2010
    You could Vlite the install disc, changing nothing but the directory that the Windows files are installed to

11. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    #11 secr9tos, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
    Well the problem is that u need to change all references from C:\WINDOWS to e.g C:\WINNT on ur complete system and that manually coz I don't believe that there is any tool available for this job.

EDIT:

for example u have to change the following:

* BCD Store
    * Any registry keys directing to C:\WINDOWS\*
    * Environment Variables

and so on..

12. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    yep, and from somewhere external like a dualboot windows or winpe disk, it's not possible to do that with a running windows

13. guanellaluigi

guanellaluigi MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2008
    Maybe you could install W7 in its default path and then set up a hard link (junction point) between c:\windows and c:\winnt.
    Like the ones already set up between C:\Users and c:\Documents and settings
    Try with dir /a c:\ and see if hard links can be your solution.
    You would end up with a standard W7 install, but older programs will be happy.

14. MadSheep!

MadSheep! MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2009
    #15 MadSheep!, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
    If it is for older programs then open the cmd with admin rights and right

you created a virtual link for the older programs :)

@Stormcrow

For everything a "why" exists

15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Why can't you just not make an image of the system with acronis put it on another partition the install windows 7 then use VM ware and import you xp acronis image in and run it as virtual machine.

16. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    the reason you cannot put win 7 in the folder is because win 7 is totally different to older windows

from win 95 up till xp you have to install the os where as win vista and win 7 are images that are written to your whole hard drive a bit like Norton ghost imaging or acronis imaging so technically you cannot put it in a folder on your hdd drive and install win 7 in that folder.
    but on another note you could always partition your hdd using partition magic split the hdd and then install win7 on the partition that way you would get dual boot - but look into this first google is your friend there :)