How to install wine on Linux Debian?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by MSDNAA, Oct 28, 2013.

1. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Dear Linux Experts,

Can someone please tell me how to install wine on linux debian. I don't want to manually install but from the "deb" sources.list

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cmos

cmos MDL Junior Member

Sep 29, 2009
  4. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
  5. cmos

cmos MDL Junior Member

Sep 29, 2009
    try ubuntu, could be easier ... :tea: ... try again

6. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    O only have Debian squeeze installed. Is there any other manual step?

7. cmos

cmos MDL Junior Member

Sep 29, 2009
    what about a VM 1st, and 2nd switch to ubuntu if it is better for you ...

well, "debian" it's not my flavour, i use centos & ubuntu ...

cmos

8. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Well, I am not testing anything in VM here. I have seedbox with VNC Access, so i need to use Windows programs .exe, so i am looking to install wine.

9. cmos

cmos MDL Junior Member

Sep 29, 2009
    you ... seedbox ?! :eek:

of what ?!

maybe some MSDN subscriptions downloads !!! :confused:

sorry man but i cannot help anymore ;)

10. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    Man,

Use a distro easier.

Linux Mint or Ubuntu has a central program that does everything automatic.

11. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Like i said already i can't try any Ubuntu or other products. I have Debian Linux Squeeze installed all i need is to install Wine.

Thanks

12. cmos

cmos MDL Junior Member

Sep 29, 2009
  13. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    My seedbox admin installed wine but i can't open some programs using wine. Is there anyway to check the version of wine is installed? Also how to update to the latest version of wine.

Also please help me to install Chrome and Firefox.

Thanks

14. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    Chromiun and Firefox do not need Wine. ;)

15. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Yes but please tell me how to install Chrome and Firefox

Thanks

16. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    #17 Paiva, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Debian comes with Iceweasel (modified version of Firefox)

Download the firefox official website.( .tar.bz2 )

1. If you have Iceweasel installed, uninstall it:

Code:
    # apt-get remove iceweasel 
    2. Make sure you have the directory /opt/firefox, if so remove it:

Code:
    # rm -rf /opt/firefox 
    3. Unzip the file you downloaded, it will create a directory "firefox":

Code:
    # tar -jxvf firefox-XX.x.tar.bz2 
    4. Move the unzipped directory "firefox" for the / opt directory:

Code:
    # mv firefox /opt 
    5. Create a symbolic link in / usr / lib to the file executable:

Code:
    # ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/lib/firefox 
    6. Verify that the installation worked by running the browser on the shell itself:

Code:
    $ firefox 

Simple as that! :biggrin:

17. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #18 MSDNAA, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    (OP)
    Have managed to upgrade to Iceweasel 10 but now fluxbox applications not opening. I am not able to open Xterm, FileZilla and other applications.

Thanks

18. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    The unmet dependencies error can happen randomly on many different components or modules such as libsasl2, libssl, python-wxversion, zlib, libidn, libldap, libkrb, libgssapi, libstdc++, libstdc++-devel and etc, different by each system.

Although the system suggested resolution for the error is to try to reinstall the affected dependency modules by “apt-get -f install” command to attempt to fix and correct a system with broken dependencies in place, however, many users found that the error happens again, throwing up more unmet dependencies for “first level original” unmet dependencies, causing infinite loop of the error.

The cause of the issue of unmet dependencies, despite the fact that the modules and all dependencies have been properly installed, is probably due to corrupted package database, and/or some packages weren’t installed properly. Thus, to fix and resolve the problem, try to run one of the following commands:

or,

“apt-get clean” clears out the local repository of retrieved package files (i.e. the .deb files). It removes everything but the lock file from /var/cache/apt/archives/ and /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/. “apt-get autoclean” clears out the local repository of retrieved package files, but unlike “apt-get clean”, it only removes package files that can no longer be downloaded, and are largely useless.

After running “apt-get clean” or “apt-get autoclean”, re-run the “apt-get -f install” command in affected modules the show in the error message:

Finally, try to install the package(s) again. It should be able to install properly now.

Alternative: It’s possible to delete the dependencies’ package files directly from /var/cache/apt/archives directory. Just search and locate the .deb file which has the same name with the affected module name, and delete the file away. Then, run the “apt-get -f install <module name>” to reinstall the module and fix its broken dependencies. If other packages are affected, delete their .deb files and then install the package again accordingly.

Is it difficult? install Linux Mint :yes:

19. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Please tell me how to make my applications to work. I have no control to install any other distro, the installed distro is Linux Debian Squeeze.