How to isolate my windows 8.1 from Microsoft servers

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Corleone, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Corleone

Corleone MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2012
    Hi, so I see people struggling to activate their copy of windows 8.1, even those who legally purchased windows 8.
    I just don't want windows to connect to microsoft servers and check if the version was genuine, I don't want any updates, just the copy as it is after a fresh install and before activation.
    so is there a way to kill windows genuine check or whatever it's called?

2. Windows user

Windows user MDL Senior Member

Sep 11, 2012
    You can never fully isolate Windows from the M$ servers...until of course if you stop using the internet :p

You can disable Windows updates if you want though

3. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009

Yes... Remove NIC from PC if inbuilt disable it...Last use firewall to block all incoming & outgoing...

4. Corleone

Corleone MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2012
    while keeping internet access...
    like how it's done with PC games, they can't be activated unless you have a genuine copy yet still people can make the single player mode playable and it never connects to the game server.

5. Windows user

Windows user MDL Senior Member

Sep 11, 2012
    #5 Windows user, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    If he does that he wouldn't be able to access the internet at all....

Coz that game is a program that runs within Windows..that's why you can deny internet access to that game using a firewall....the only way to completely disable Windows from communicating with M$ servers is by disconnecting the internet permanently :D

6. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    later he can manually make hole for internet only...

7. nitins60

nitins60 MDL Junior Member

Apr 9, 2010

Who told you that. I purchased my Windows 8 copy and activated windows 8.1 successfully with clean install. Atleast tested with 3 copies.
    Unless you didn't buy legally, you got to live with that.

8. secretromeo

secretromeo MDL Addicted

Mar 30, 2011
    'Atleast tested with 3 copies' means? You used that same key to activate 3 copies of Windows 8.1 on 3 different machines?

9. nitins60

Apr 9, 2010
    Nope. 3 Different licenses on 3 different machines. I got them during Windows 8 Promo offer.
    In my machine, I activated Media Center and Office 2013 too. So it's working perfectly

10. secretromeo

secretromeo MDL Addicted

Mar 30, 2011
    Alright. Can you tell me how Windows 8/8.1 key activated Office 2013?

11. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Retail keys activate still. Only KMS and VolumeMAK don't make transition from 8 to 8.1

12. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    he does not say that he activated office with W8 key

13. nitins60

Apr 9, 2010
    Are you feeling sleepy? I told you, I activated Windows 8.1 with legal/genuine Win 8 key and used Media Center key to add/upgrade features.
    Installed Office 2013 and used office key to activate. I am just letting you know that Legal/Genuine keys work always more or less perfectly

14. secretromeo

secretromeo MDL Addicted

Mar 30, 2011
    My fault. I misunderstood. Thanks for mentioning.

15. kpedersen

kpedersen MDL Junior Member

Jul 18, 2008
    #15 kpedersen, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Because I despise online updates and other useless packets, regardless of the operating system (or whether it has been activated or not) I tend to always set the Windows firewall to the following.

Code:
    ALLOW firefox.exe (outgoing)
    ALLOW putty.exe (outgoing)
    ALLOW Core Networking DHCP (outgoing)
    ALLOW Core Networking DNS (outgoing)
    BLOCK ALL (incoming)
    BLOCK ALL (outgoing)

Then I like to turn on Windows updates and watch it cry ;)

I do similar with older operating systems which don't have a program level firewall (Windows XP / 2000) using an old (non-bloated) product called Sygate Personal Firewall.

Ironically Linux and BSD don't have program level firewalls (they are frowned upon by purists) which is a real pain. For example Windows update uses port 80 so if you enable that (i.e so you can use the web browser) then the update requests would come flooding in if you didnt have program level access.

16. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    There is a good way - use Windows XP and disable automatic updates.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG MDL Novice

May 31, 2008
    also remember remove all those ipv6 bridge (such as teredo), most default connect to MS.
    p.s. no activation? great, then rearm it and see it fall later :biggrin:

18. kpedersen

kpedersen MDL Junior Member

Jul 18, 2008
    #18 kpedersen, Sep 5, 2013
    Hmm, I would still have this feeling that the OS is sending data. It is sad that I simply don't trust that Windows (and Microsoft) isn't out to get me. I spent a while testing the default Windows firewall was actually doing its job using Wireshark. I was actually (pleasantly) surprised that Microsoft didn't put a clause in there to always allow ports to Microsofts servers to stay open. This is why Sygate PF is so good. It wasn't made by Microsoft so I almost trust it lol.

As for ipv6, some of it comes under a separate entry in the firewall Core Networking DHCP (ipv6). I leave this blocked because frankly we will all be long dead before ipv6 support is actually needed on client machines ;)

19. panchop

panchop MDL Senior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    #19 panchop, Sep 5, 2013
    oh no, not another thread about conspiracies and stories about what makes microsoft. This we have read it several times here, that something so farfetched and exaggerated

20. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    I have disabled my IPv6 entries and tunnels from the device manager. Not only is it not needed but could be a undetected entry path to the system.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...