How to keep sound when screen goes off?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by will5, Oct 19, 2019.

1. will5

will5 MDL Senior Member

Jun 21, 2007
    #1 will5, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Hi guys, old problem here that when windows 10 turn off screen, audio goes off too.

This kill spotify and other players.

There is a really good solution to this? Spotify team says it was fixed, but it´s not, at least not completely.

What I d noticed, is that on my pc with analog audio output (normal 3,5 speakers) keep working when screen goes off.

But on the hdmi audio output one, audio stops as soon as screen goes off.

Tried also on a friend pc with hdmi audio, and same problem.

Only fix I found is to change turn off screen to never, which s**ks, cause I really need only sound.

BTW Im using Spotify Windows 10 store app.

Thanks

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    HDMI audio coming out of the monitor speakers?
    Monitor turns off, speakers also turn off?

If not then maybe the GPU is dropping into power saving

Use 3.5mm on that PC too? Or use a different device to stream

3. will5

will5 MDL Senior Member

Jun 21, 2007
  4. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Audio-only pass-trough needs a couple of things to happen:
    - a gpu with a driver that can do it (gen 3 intel onboard on windows 7 could do that when set to output PCM, not bitstreaming, as tested by me couple months ago)
    - a tv that can do it (probably most of panasonic smart tvs from 2016 onwards can)
    - a HDMI ARC port on the tv is probably needed too
    If the pc / tv combo does not work, then a digital audio receiver can make it happen as a middle-man (plug gpu into receiver, receiver into tv)

Ain't all that sounding over-complicated, when you could just setup a blank screen saver instead?
    Code:
    @echo off
    reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v ScreenSaveTimeOut /d 300 /f &rem 5*60 seconds
    reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v ScreenSaverIsSecure /d 0 /f &rem dont-ask-password-on-resume
    reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v ScreenSaveActive /d 1 /f
    reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v SCRNSAVE.EXE /d "%SystemRoot%\system32\scrnsave.scr" /f
    powercfg /x -monitor-timeout-ac 0
    powercfg /x -monitor-timeout-dc 0
    rundll32.exe user32.dll,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters
    ;

And as a word of advice for the future: always state the hardware involved in your issue (tv maker and model, gpu model, os version and build) - as there could be some specific quirks and easy workarounds that people already dealing with your issue could help with if they recognize it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
  6. will5

will5 MDL Senior Member

Jun 21, 2007
  7. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...