How to keep the microphone level fixed in the sound control panel?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by megalomando, Aug 23, 2018.

1. megalomando

megalomando MDL Junior Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I am using an external sound card for this Win 10 computer, it controls a radio transmitter. There is a lot of calibration required to maintain proper power levels and the first thing to be constant is the mic level set within Windows. I set the level in the sound control panel to as close to 0 dB as possible but Window 10 thinks it knows better what I need and keeps seemingly randomly moving the slider to the far right, to +30dB or in percent, 100%. This "feature" is something happening from within windows and it is a headache that happens several times a day and when I discover I am over-driving the amplifier I have to go back to settings & the sound control panel to again lower the dB / % back to the necessary level.

What I would like to do is find out where in the registry to force Windows to leave my setting where I want it. Is there a registry fix I can make to do this?

Thank you.

2. ch4os

ch4os MDL Junior Member

Jan 9, 2010
    I‘ve never seen Windows change that by its own.

Are you sure you don‘t use some third party tool which has a „feature“ to automatically adjust mic gain? I‘ve seen that with some VoIP apps like Discord.

Fix for Discord would be to disable „automatic gain control“ in options. Btw: Discord browser app will adjust that as well and you can‘t disable it there.

3. megalomando

Jul 27, 2007
    Thanks for the reply.

There are several programs involved that use the Mic feature but none of them have any kind of automatic adjustment for the mic. There are "sliders" in the software used but they stay where they are placed, never to be varied once all levels are established. Audio /mic signal purity is essential and all the software is with that concept. dB needs to be zero throughout the software chain with the only variance coming from the input alone.

It's immediately obvious when this dB change in the sound manager has happened, the dB meter in the software is to the far right and I have to go into the sound manager to move it back to 0 dB. That's why I'm hoping for a registry setting that would allow me to set it and forget it.

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Also check Messengers like Skype, they may also do this.

5. megalomando

Jul 27, 2007
    Thanks for the replies.

Soundvolumeview looks interesting but I'm not thinking it will force a setting to be maintained, it does give a nice option to save and use settings but as of late I have been just leaving the sound device manager open and when I see windows has messed up again, I open it and just move the slider back where it should be. What I'm hoping to find is a way to force windows to leave me alone and quit messing with my settings so I don't have to use work-arounds. I won't even go into my resentment of what it does in switching port assignments when it forces an update...

Thanks for the thoughts about messengers, I don't use them on this computer, I have other computers I use for listening or talking with. This computer is dedicated to one purpose only so I don't have calls from other software to change audio settings.