how to keeps an app away from other directories/registry?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by HeftCD, Dec 3, 2014.

1. HeftCD

HeftCD MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2014
    #1 HeftCD, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    Hi,

does one know a method or a program to avoid that a an app has read access (write: obligate!, so no comment) to other directories or registry?

yes, there are programs like Sandboxie they disallow changes to system (the easy way), or virtualization (which is tricky) or in a virtual machine (in normal/most cases the guest has no access to host OS) - but too complex/elaborate.

I want to keep the app just in it's own directory, knowing not much about his environment arout it. Knows just his directory. Like an empty HDD with nothing on it. Or in Win 3.1 times - without a registry.

Is it possible?
    How?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Hi HeftCD!

Name is due to implied language kinda familiar :D.

First question that appears in my mind, is what should a tool do, that is practically blind and clueless :g:?

The tools i trust and therefor use perform only legit checks against system services and registry, that provide the info they need to work.

If one is known for 'E.T.-like' behavior (aka phoning home) and i see no need/benefit, i block the calls via Firewall Rule or hosts file entry. as long as it cannot tattletale to his Mom, who cares :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...