How to lower idle cpu clock in windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by David555, Jan 1, 2018.

1. David555

David555 MDL Junior Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Without overclocking idle cpu stays around 1.2 ghz when I overclock it both the max clock goes up but also idle clock goes up.

Is there a way in windows 10 to lower idle cpu clock speed?

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    AFAIK the idle clock speed could be lowered using to lower the CPU voltage. But I don't know that will affect the max CPU Clock also, I think it would!! That's called Core-Voltage and could be below 1 volt and should not go above 1.5 Volt

On my AMD FX 4130 the min. Core Voltage is 0.944V and would max at 1.42V if reach by overclocking 1.6V I get a BIOS Warming and over 1.64V the computer will reboot. I could set the BIOS to ignore the Core Voltage, it just would start burning the CPU. An Intel CPU is more sensitive than an AMD CPU and may be burned without warning!

If using 'underclocking' (if the BIOS allow that) by changing the Multiplier and/or the Bus Speed, instead of play with the Core Voltage, maybe you could do what you want.

But be very careful with playing with such because you easily could damage the CPU, All that you do it at your own risk and out of any warranty!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. UndertakerBen

UndertakerBen MDL Member

Mar 3, 2016
    How did you overclock by Bus Speed or by multiplier.
    By Bus Speed overclocking it's normal that the idle clock is higher. Because it applies idle multiplier multiplied with Bus Speed frequency is the idle clock

Code:
    12 x 100 Mhz = 1200 Mhz
    12 x 133 Mhz = 1596 Mhz
    The Idle Clock multiplier can't be changed.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Not really true! it is simply depend on CPU Limits and allowance in the BIOS. Both of them would need to be checked upfront of doing!

6. David555

David555 MDL Junior Member

Dec 12, 2017
    I have been playing with voltage. And it does affect performance.
    On my tablet I can lower cpu idle usage no problem there are tones of

I used multiplier in bios and changed a bit of voltage. Without overclocking idle cpu stays 1.2ghz when I overclock cpu to 3.7ghz idle goes to 1.5ghz was wondering if I can have idle clock at 1.2 while overclocked max clock 3.7 but i dont think thats possible?
    It is possible on the android tablet with custom rom but not sure about windows.

7. naizarak

naizarak MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2017
    set your "minimum processor state" to a low value like 5% for your power profile. by default max performance has it pegged to 100%

there are also bios options that need to be set correctly. if you're using a ryzen cpu then overclocking through multiplier will disable power savings, overclocking through p-states will leave it enabled