How to make a disc with a long volume name ?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by tnx, Feb 1, 2011.

1. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Hi. Hope you clever lot can help me out here.

I am trying to make a disc with a long volume name and so far just made three DL coasters. Well when i say coaster,they work but not properly.

What it is exactly is I am trying to burn the latest Adobe Master Collection ( downloaded direct from Adobe ). I add an "Autorun" file and an icon into the mix and make the image. This is the easy part. Disc goes in,pops up and the install begins. All is perfect upto now.

The install goes through one or two things then it starts to check things,fine...The i get a pop up

"Please insert AdobeMasterCollection5-trial-English disc to continue"

So this is what i recon the disc should be called.
    I have tried a couple of burning APPS to try and make the iso with such a long volume name but it always gets truncated to summet with less characters.

Has anybody on here got around this sort of problem and can offer me some tips. Which APP to use ect ect...

Cheers...

2. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    #2 windsman, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
    Most of Burn application use ISO 9660 LEVEL 1 for burn Image and you are limited at 15 characters for Volume name of the DVD.

But you can enable the Level 2 and increase to 32 characters the volume name.

Nero can do that :

- Be sure to Set your Burn in dvd-rom ISO mode
    - Go to Label Tab and Set the name in automatic (32 characters allowed).

hope it's help you.

windsman.

3. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    "Please insert AdobeMasterCollection5-trial-English disc to continue"

had that error before, copying the files from the exe/iso/DVD to the root of the main drive and installing from there fixed it.

4. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    UDF supports extremely long volume names

5. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Cheers mate...But my Volume title has 36 characters....

That is the whole point mate i dont want the files on my HDD. i want to install from a disc...

I got one step closer last night and got the volume to be AdobeMasterCollection5-trial-Eng.......which is 32 characters......i need the extra 4....

I ended up using Ashampoo to make the .iso then DVd Decryptor to change the volume name...I will mess about with the settings later on this arfo when i get time to play...

Thanks for the input guys..

6. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Like I said... you won't have this problem if you made a UDF disc... nero supports it and so does imgburn (its successor to dvd decryptor)... I recommend imgburn though as it is free, lightweight, and very powerful

7. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008

i will look at imgburn,thats one burning app i aint played with......As for Nero.....I went right off Nero some years ago and not used it since. If all else fails i will take a look at that too.....

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  9. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Hi urie...I downloaded that APP..Never seen it before so i thought i would take a look see....What you download from Adobe is summet called an LSI file and a /zip file...These just unzip to get some folder and the set-up.exe. The ocre APP did not open the .exe file...

Well i have made a couple mor DL DVD's with different settings the last one was just UDF...Same result.
    Then i noticed summet so subtle you would hardly notice..
    The error windows says
    "Please insert Disk AdobeMasterCollection5-trial-English"

I took this as the volume should be "AdobeMasterCollection5-trial-English"
    But the letter D of disk is a capitol "D".....if this was not important it would say "Please insert disk AdobeMasterCollection5-trial-English"
    So my cooky plan is maybe the volume name is actually Disk AdobeMasterCollection5-trial-English

So i changed my last .iso image - UDF to this new volume name...It has just finished burning...

Lets look shall we...

10. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Well...getting angry nowwwwwww..

Nope,did not work....Well sort of new it wouldn't

11. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    you could try making one large iso with power iso, then power iso lets you split it to multiples for cd/dvd etc, I had a Windows 7 on a few CD's one time and I think that was how that was done.

(the trail download even made to a DVD wont be the retail as the retail is an entirely different setup with integrated content)

12. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Been doing some reading on the net and found a bit of info...Basicly it has nowt to do with the file name. It is simply the trial version is not meant to be installed from a disc. i was barking up the wrong tree.
    Oh well....Wish i'd have read this before i wasted some discs...

13. LostED

LostED SVF Patch Lover

Jul 30, 2009
    #13 LostED, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Hi mate...Well similar but using IMGBurn i could get the volume name to be the full 36 characters. It made no difference at all..

What puzles me is you can order the trial from Adobe which comes on a disc. This is at a cost of $15 roughly......
    So if that disc will work it must be possible. What i am thinking the actuall .exe file has some code to test if it is on a disc and if so to pop this error up. If this is the case it must be possible to alter it. Too hard for me though.