How to make a non UEFI DVD UEFI bootable?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Super Spartan, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    So I got my Origin PC Millennium recently. They also gave me a Windows 7 DVD (ORIGIN PC Edition) which has all the modified logon backgrounds and such relevant to Origin PC

The problem is, now I want to make a clean installation in UEFI mode but when inserting the disc, the BIOS on my ASUS X-99 Deluxe motherboard only gives me the normal boot option not the UEFI option.

If I insert my origin Windows 7 Pro disc that I had bought in the past, I do get the UEFI boot option.

So as a workaround I though ok let me extract the image of that ORIGIN PC Windows 7 Disc and copy it to a USB using Rufus. In RUFUS I ensured to make it UEFI bootable for GPT partitions but when I boot off it and manually guide it to where the driver for my Intel 750 PCIe SSD is located and initialize the partition as a GPT partition, I get a message saying that I cannot install it on this partition because it is not bootable make sure the controller is enabled in the BIOS

So I guess that ISO is missing part of the UEFI boot or something? If I boot off that DVD in normal mode (not UEFI) I am able to install provided that I initialize the disc as MBR but that's not what I want, I want to install it in UEFI mode / GPT partition the same way they shipped the PC to me.

How in the world were they able to install in UEFI mode / GPT partition from that disc?

any ideas?

Is there a way to make that ISO that I extracted properly UEFI bootable?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    I knew this would be the first comment :rolleyes:

The Windows 7 section is dead and noone visits that subforum

What does putting the USB drive in slot 2 and not 3 have to do with anything???????:rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. labvxe

labvxe MDL Expert

Mar 24, 2015

Okay. Well for that to happen. You have to switch to legacy boot in the BIOS. Then you boot off that media.

Then it's a matter of entering a couple of quick commands to restore UEFI after you finish the install bud :D

4. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Driver support

5. unrealmaniac

unrealmaniac MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2015
    is there a EFI folder on the dvd. if there is you can boot in EFI mode if there is a BOOTx64.EFI file in the EFI\Boot\ directory some EFI bioses will let you browser for that file

6. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
  7. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Since I have a Windows 7 Pro (System Builders Edition) from Microsoft that IS UEFI bootable, can I not delete some folders off that ISO and replace them with the ones from the ORIGIN PC ones then burn the disc again? wouldn't that be UEFI bootable since the original MS disc was UEFI bootable and keep the ORIGIN PC Windows 7 edition in there?

Which files shall I copy from the Origin PC onto that Windows 7 DVD and which files I shouldn't touch?

8. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    But the problem is, if I don't install it in UEFI mode from the start, then I am forced to initialize the disc as MBR not GPT thus defeating the whole idea of UEFI. I don't know how in the world did they install it in UEFI mode / GPT partition off that disc.

9. labvxe

labvxe MDL Expert

Mar 24, 2015
    I don't know about that. I've never messed with the stuff in the ISO to make that happen

But I used a program called gptgen to switch back to UEFI after I finished the install :)

10. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    You need to get a win8/8.1/10 ISO, copy the efi folder to the win7 ISO and save to new ISO.

Note that win7 only support X64 in efi. :D

11. labvxe

labvxe MDL Expert

Mar 24, 2015
    Try FaiKee way :D

That sounds a little better plan to me :D

12. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Gpt is for drives larger than 2gigs, and accomodates many partitions. Do you boot with a drive larger than that ?? and uefi works for a 64bit os not a 32 bit ...

13. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    GPT also takes 1 sec less to initialize during boot up which is why I want it to be in GPT, the same way my system was shipped.

14. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Thanks, I'll try that now

15. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @J-Lawrence

Off topic, but is the bundled Windows OEM:SLP licensed?

16. joluboga

joluboga MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    1 whole second, huh? :eek:

17. TeamOS

TeamOS MDL Guru

May 27, 2013
    you know if use rufus and put some other lang like china iso or greek any iso and choose UEFI/MBR OR UEFI/GTP and The Windows Bootscreen stays in english :D