How to make a PRO only disc?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by spacednow, Jul 30, 2010.

1. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I have a retail Ultimate disk. I made a copy and deleted the ei.cfg file for my own uses, which lets you chose which edition. I need a disc that installs Pro only. I edited the efi.cfg to with notepad to say pro instead of ultimate, but it still installed ultimate (figured there was more to it). So I downloaded this tool (from here) that is supposed to let you change the version, but I keep getting an unexpected output size error. I installed 7 Pro in this particular computer (I'm selling), and everything is on the up and up (except the MB is old and I had to make the install disk with the Vista boot, code 5 error otherwise) but I want to give them a backup disc for reinstall (especially because of the code 5 error) that is Pro only. I've spent hours researching this and I don't care squat about MD5 and such. I just wast it to install Pro with no other options... the MD5 can't ever match on this because of the boot being changed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Nosidak

Nosidak MDL Junior Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Just search for the image edition switcher. It patches the iso

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    #3 spacednow, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
    (OP)
    It doesn't work for some reason. Thats what I used that gives me the output error. Maybe I should use a hex editor to change the ei.cfg instead of notepad?

4. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    No, copying a free ultimate disk I got from the "house party" promo. It says signature edition on it. Sucsessfully opened it in Power ISO, deleted the ei file to get the multi edition with no probs. I usually use this image to install from USB. I don't know why I get the unexpected error but I have tried many times (with a copy that still has the ei.cfg file on it).

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Try again but try UltraIso and make another iso image of the windows dvd.

6. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #7 George King, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Here¨is another way how make only Professional installation. You will need program called imagex.exe

1. Open ISO and extract install.wim to c:\, rename it to install.original.wim
    2. Run this command (you need replace %EDITION% with number of installation, x86 it can be 4 and for x64 it can be 3, if you working with original ISO)
    Code:
    Imagex.exe /compress maximum /export "c:\install.original.wim" %EDITION% "c:\install.wim"
    3. Open ISO and delete ei.cfg and replace install.wim in ISO with new which you exported
    4. Burn ISO

Installation size will be smaller, because your new disc include only Windows 7 Professional installation

7. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    @George King- thanks, what I was looking for. I ended up dl'ing the one from the repository late last night and using the patcher; it worked for that one. This makes me wonder what is different about the Signature Edition MS sent me. I am just paranoid about using any torrents, I've gotten 2 copyright infringement notices in the last month. Whats absurd about that is I've downloaded hundreds (probably thousands) of movies/software (I use protections) but the ones they're accusing me of I've never even heard of.......but thats another issue.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  9. wuhoatu

wuhoatu MDL Member

Apr 24, 2009
    #10 wuhoatu, Jul 31, 2010
    Extract WIN 7 version from Ultimate ISO:

1. Use UltraISO or WinRar to extract install.wim from Ult ISO file to a new folder.

2. Use imagex commandline to extract preferable W7 Edition from Ult install.wim
    Code:
    imagex.exe /export "Path_to_extracted_folder\install.wim" 1 "Path_to_other_folder\install.wim" "Windows 7 STARTER (x86)" /compress maximum
    imagex.exe /export "Path_to_extracted_folder\install.wim" 2 "Path_to_other_folder\install.wim" "Windows 7 HOMEBASIC (x86)" /compress maximum
    imagex.exe /export "Path_to_extracted_folder\install.wim" 3 "Path_to_other_folder\install.wim" "Windows 7 HOMEPREMIUM (x86)" /compress maximum
    imagex.exe /export "Path_to_extracted_folder\install.wim" 4 "Path_to_other_folder\install.wim" "Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL (x86)" /compress maximum
    imagex.exe /export "Path_to_extracted_folder\install.wim" 5 "Path_to_other_folder\install.wim" "Windows 7 ULTIMATE (x86)" /compress maximum
    3. Extract ei.cf from Ult original ISO and change [EditionID] yours.
    Code:
    [EditionID]
    Ultimate --> Professional (or your preferable Edition)
    [Channel]
    Retail
    [VL]
    4. Open Ult Original ISO with UltraISO or similar soft. Replace ei.cf and install.wim with your extracted and mofified one. Save the ISO. It's done.

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #11 urie, Jul 31, 2010
    That method is ok if you only want 1 image on the dvd hardly worth the effort and you don't save much space, just as easy editing the ei.cfg and replacing with ultraiso only takes five minutes.