How to make a recover partition?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by takui, Nov 12, 2011.

1. takui

takui MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2007
    Hi guys,

I've just bought a notebook asus with its recovery partition with 7 home premium. The point is, I've upgraded my OS to ultimate, plus I've downloaded all that upgrades it needed... so I was wondering if I can just make a copy of the OS i've running now for the recovery partition instead of keeping the home premium... how I can do it? Someone knows?

Thx u!

2. takui

takui MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2007
    ty :) the point is: i want to make a new recovery partition with a 1:1 copy of my new OS and programs instead of keeping the one I got with the pc... so when I need to restore my system I don't need to redo all from the start :) can I do this with the sw u pointed before?

3. takui

takui MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2007
    Hmm I'll give it a try...hope that image will not be huge like I think :D

4. takui

takui MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2007
    Sadly not...I've installed just office, photoshop, indesign and a couple of free programs like chrome, imgburn, infarnview... if I dont count the hiberfil and the pagefile, it's somethink like 45gb :| I hate x64...in another pc with windows 32bit the windows folder is around 13 gb with 56k files into it, in this laptop the windows folder is 26,7gb with 240k files... 4 times the files and 2 times the disk space, wtf :| I hate x64 version...

5. half Man Half Biscuit

half Man Half Biscuit MDL Addicted

Jun 1, 2011
    Acrsn you got many programs mate.

But all the programs are very useful though,i have many of the programs now,that you listed there :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. takui

takui MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2007
    #7 takui, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
    (OP)
    I dunno what to say, it was just very big from the start, this is why I want to destroy their recover partition and make a new one.. but I'm scared to do it too, cuz I'm not sure if the automatic switch between the intel hd integrated video card and the nvidia one will works if I reinstall windows from Zero... I've not found anyone who can say how this "auto switch between cards" is made to work, so I'm scared to lose it...maybe u know something about it? I've 6 gb of ram so the page file is 6 gb large....

For the asus s**tprograms i'm not sure where they are installed, maybe in the programs folder? But the really big ones is the windows folder..200k+ files! How big your windows folder is? Just to be curios, cuz u've the x64 version too...

7. takui

takui MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2007
    I've just a couple of games installed, but not the big ones, only the ones that comes with the laptop, like plant vs zombies, majong...long away to fill the gap from my system folder and yours...:|

8. takui

takui MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2007
    #9 takui, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
    (OP)
    I cannot understand why my windows 7 folder is 10+ gb than yours, wtf...

oddity: in windows 7 32 bit, office is around 640 mb under the programs folder... in the x64 version its in the programdata folder...and around 8 gb? o_O

wtf maybe i'm getting some clues...it's possible that this preinstalled version of windows have more than my languages? I mean, if it's possible, maybe everytime i'm installing something multilanguage, it install all the files for the others languages...

Edit: i've removed that huge office folder and reinstalled office... that folder was not created anymore o_O so strange (was something like OEMOffice14... o_O)

9. takui

takui MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2007
    ty for all the advices...now all the programs and windows folder are something around 35gb...12 more than the other pc with x32, but better than before...still wondering why the windows folder is much bigger than yours but...whatever...

10. takui

takui MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2007
  11. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    yeah with paragon you should make a recovery disk that has the program on it, which it will let you do, it has a wizard for this. there is just an iso in one of the program folders.

but you can also install grub to your mbr and it can load the iso directly and then you don't need to burn a disc, but i can't tell you exactly how to do this unfortunately, but it is an option, and in a sense this way it would be more like a recovery partition.

12. alzaabi

alzaabi MDL Junior Member

Aug 27, 2010
    to make back up of ur windows + fast recovering this windows use
    Acronis True Image Home 2011

very fast ..

13. takui

takui MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2007
    #15 takui, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
    (OP)
    ty all guys, one of the few forums where ppl don't ignore u :p

I've used acronis, from my *fat* windows disk now I've a shrinked file of 15gb supercompressed :D cool, I've just done the bootable media so I can restore it if I needed. What do u think about incremental backup? It's a good thing to do? Anyway, thx u all so much :) now I just need to understand why my pc boot so slowly and I'm ok lol :D

14. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    now I just need to understand why my pc boot so slowly and I'm ok lol :D[/QUOTE]

check your system start ups,eliminate processes your Asus and you, don't need to launch:D