How to Make Administrator Account in Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Happpy, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Happpy

Happpy MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Hello, Guys!

I've installed Windows 8 Enterprises and obviously I'm very new to Windows 8. Now, the First account which has been made on installing Windows is saying me a Local User. Now I've made another user to test it as limited user but Windows still doesn't make it limited user, Windows make it still a local user. Means both become local users. So my question is that how can I make an Admininstrator and a limited user account in Windows 8?

Another thing is that my Windows is not genuine.

Regards,

2. Adidas

Adidas MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    Hi,
    i had the same issue, although my local user was marked as "Administrator" i still couldn't do stuff that an administrator can do and got security pop ups.

you can right click "My computer" icon and click "Manage", in the window opened expand "Local users and groups", click on "Users", right click "Administrator" and choose "Properties, Untick the "Account is disabled" checkbox. next time you'll log in you will have the "Real" administrator account to choose.

after this change i deleted my local account and left only the administrator account, so windows wont hassle me with security prompts.

3. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009

Quick Instructions:

Logon to Windows 8 using an account which is a member of the local Administrators group.

Launch the cmd prompt "Run as administrator" (Elevated command prompt)

Run Net user administrator P$sw0rdX (To set Password, Set it according to your choice )

Run Net user administrator /active:yes (To Activate)

Test the activated Administrator: Switch User, or logoff
    Logon as Administrator
    Password P$sw0rdX (your password is different)
    Once activated, you can also view the Administrator account in the Control Panel, Users Accounts.

4. life

life MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2012
    @ Happy @
    Brother Check Below at Local Account, What is written there ??

User Account.jpg
    Go to Control Panel and after that in User Menu Check the Following :
    As Above Shown in Picture ,If there is Written under Local Account "Administrator", than your Account is Also An Administrator Account.
    Don't worry about It.

If you are saying OR worried about Following Setting shows Local Account than no matter what it shows See A Screen Shot :

Account.jpg

Actually Microsoft WINDOWS 8 Have 2 Types of Account :
    1-Local Account :Local is By Default Administrative Account when you Install WINDOWS 8.In local Account you can use WINDOWS 8 but Can't Install Microsoft Store Apps.In local Account WINDOWS 8 works Properly & No lag.
    2-Microsoft Account : It is online Account which Allows You to Synchronize the WINDOWS 8 Settings and Devices,If you Have Already Hotmail,Outlook OR Windows Live ID or Mail Service than you can sign in windows from that ID to Use the Function.
    -By Microsoft Account you Can Change your Lock screen Picture of your own Desire.

-Its Safe but Many people Cannot Suggest
    01-Nov-12 5-11-30 PM.jpg

5. Adidas

Adidas MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    Life,
    i'm not sure that is completely true. after installing WIN8 i configured a local account and marked this account as "Administrator". happily and joyfully i started configuring my system, installing software and configurations and to my surprise i saw things are not working, for example, i downloaded portable Notepad++ from the official site and extracted the folder to my C:\Program Files folder. i opened the settings of Notepad++ to configure some settings, saved and closed. after reopening Notepad++ i saw that settings are not saved, similar issued happened with different programs. by the way, Windows didn't let me extract ZIP files to C:\Program Files, said i don't have permissions, i needed to copy paste the folder there and not extract it.

this was permissions issue, only after enabling the Administrator account these issues were solved.

6. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Another way. In an elevated command prompt type "lusrmgr.msc". From here you can select the already existing Administrator account and activate it. You can also give it a password. Check the box for password never expires. While here, I suggest modifying the Guest account so that it is disabled (wonder why Microsoft still allows Guest to be active when Windows is installed?)

7. life

life MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2012
    #7 life, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
    @Adidas@
    Although we are System Administrator but we Need To Run As Administrator Command,Have you tried it When you are working In Programming with your Notepad++ ?
    Try this way to go straight to the folder in which Notepad++ is installed (Program Files), there, find the Notepad++ executable, right-click on it, and select Compatibility, and at the bottom check the box for Run as administrator.

This WILL make your application always pop up with a UAC warning, but you'll always have the ability to edit as administrator.

Usually the message is caused by Permission issues on the file being saved. These have been Not spotted if you runs with administrator rights. When you close and reopen it, it's just a normal process, without admin rights. php.ini and httpd.conf sound like they'd be under c:\Program Files (x86) or similar, and hence a normal user won't be able to edit them. You can solve this by either launching Notepad++ as admin (or right click on the Application and than Properties, Compatibility Tab, Privilege level and tick the check box Run As Administrator), or granting permission to write to those files that you need to edit. If it's a development box you're working on, I'd recommend the latter.

Good Luck!

8. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    The actual issue is that you don't seem to understand the UAC security model, or portable applications. Enabling the Administrator account is not a fix for that, it's an insecure workaround. Of course any user in the "Administrators" group has administrator privileges, it's just that programs have to explicitly ask for their permission to use them. Do you really think giving any application, such as a web browser, full administrator permissions on the system is a good idea? Of course not.
    The point of portable applications is to run them from a directory that doesn't require special permissions to write to. If you're running a portable application from %programfiles%, you're doing it wrong.

9. life

life MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2012
    I totally Agree.

10. stafvc

stafvc MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2012
    lusrmgr.msc is probably the solution but....I cannot change anything, I dont have the rights. Any idea how I can logon as an Administrator?
    When I execute lusrmgr.msc it says for Administrator account = off
    I am getting desperate as I cannot do a thing, always asking for Admin account ...
    Thanks for your help

11. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    The first Account created should be a "Admin" Account, every other Acount you create after is a "Standard User" by default.

Whats you issue anyway...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. klarkkent

klarkkent MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    #12 klarkkent, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
    @ HAPPPY The following is probably the answer to your questions.

Go to the power menu (lower left of your screen and right click) scroll to
    Command Prompt (Admin) ......(the other command prompt won't work right,
    for what we need in this case, so make sure its the Admin one.

Copy and paste the following command:

net user administrator /active:yes

,,, now hit enter. It should say command succesfully completed.

The above command works with Works with XP, Vi$ta, Win 7, and Win 8

Reboot and log into Administrator account. You can remove the administrator and
    your Guest account later (a Guest account is not safe to keep around, so delete
    it) (you can not delete any account you are logged in to though). You can remove
    them in Control Panel/User Accounts in the normal way.

Now before I tell you about this, you have to know that I'm behind a router
    (which makes things a little safer) I also use Malwarebites, togeather with
    AVG Internet Security. So I've never had a problem that these two apps didn't
    catch and fix. So I will give you two methods to choose from depending on your
    security setup, (I use method 2 below). Save a copy of you security list by
    exporting it to a temp folder, (name it default security list.txt, or similar).

Method one:

Goto Control Panel/Action Center

Click on Change User Account Control Settings

Move the slider all the way to the botton (Never notify)

reboot ... you are done don't even do method 2.] (below)

Method two:

Goto Control Panel/Administrator Tools/Local Security Policy.

In the Local Security Policy window you opend, double click on

Local Policys, then open Security Options
    (your changes will be saved when you close this Window, so be careful)

If you have a lan to play games on 3 or 4 PCs then you would want

Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only Disabled
    and another on futher down the list (also for Lans),

Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users Enabled

For you: set the following to alot less/lax security settings:

(almost bottom of list)

Recovery console: Allow automatic administrative logon Enabled
    Recovery console: Allow floppy copy and access to all drives and all folders Enabled

{and on the bottom of the list}

User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account Disabed
    User Account Control: Allow UIAccess applications to prompt for elevation without using the secure desktop Disabled
    User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode Elevate without prompting
    User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for standard users Prompt for credentials
    User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation Disabled
    User Account Control: Only elevate executables that are signed and validated Disabled
    User Account Control: Only elevate UIAccess applications that are installed in secure locations Disabled
    User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode Enabled
    User Account Control: Switch to the secure desktop when prompting for elevation Disabled
    User Account Control: Virtualize file and registry write failures to per-user locations Disabled

If you use method 2 you will get alot less of those irritating prompt pop ups. (the above
    settings will still allow you to still use the Microsoft Store)

The above works for all your accounts. Just remember you can't use the Microsoft
    Store while logged in with the Administrator account! I probably forgot
    something, but I hope not ...Good Luck!

Now let the griping beging about running with such reduced security settings.

13. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Oh... and network logons to administrative accounts with blank passwords are fine? :doh:

NAT is not a security feature.

I could, but addressing all the specific issues in your post is just not worth my time. I'll just sum it up with this: bad advice.

14. klarkkent

klarkkent MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    Seriously wish you would take the time, your advice is always good.