How to make back-up copies of Blu-Ray movies

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by smokey99, Feb 27, 2010.

1. smokey99

smokey99 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    Ok, I have tried for several days to figure out how to make a back-up of my blu-ray movies. I can break the encryption with AnyDVD, but then I'm lost. Any help :worthy:

2. smokey99

smokey99 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    Really, nobody? I'm not asking for Warez... just how (if) it can be done.

3. bisdak4920

bisdak4920 MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    use dvdfab. works like a charm.

4. sizzy1969

sizzy1969 MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2010
    makemkv is good for this

5. jasqid

jasqid MDL Member

Feb 10, 2008
    I used DVDFAB. Gotta be careful though. One of my movies I backed up gave me issues that it was too big for the BD-R media I was using.

6. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Surely at the mo its cheaper to backup bluray disks to just hard drives.

I do not have bluray drive, but i would assume prices mean its cheaper to back them up to a sngle ahrd drive.

1tb drive would keep 30-50 bluray disks, and it costs around £50 for a 1tb drive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    In order to save space what you want to do is burn the blu-ray to a folder and not an ISO with anydvd (great software)...
    Then you want to convert the mkv file in it to h264 ... The are either one or several mkv files but most of the time there is only one....
    Thats about all I know I haven't tried converting it over to h264 yet sorry....

8. subble

subble MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2009
    I back up most of my Blu-Ray Discs to AVCHD, a format that is supported by the PS3. Rip with AnyDVD HD, convert to AVCHD with RipBot264, and burn to a DVD+R DL (which can be had for less than $1 per disc). It helps to have a fast processor for the conversion. Then you can let the kids watch the copies and save the original Blu-Ray discs for when the copies wear out or suffer catastrophic damage. I suppose we are getting to the point where 25 GB BD-Rs are getting down to about $2 per disc, so I am thinking about moving up as soon as I can justify buying a BD-R burner.

9. -Jim-

-Jim- MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I did the move to BD-R ( Verbatim BLU-RAY BD-R 2X 25GB Branded 20PACK Spindle - for $50 Canadian) so I would have to recode / loose Quality. One of the players is a Samsung HT1250 and the on HD it will play is BD. I made a copy of Superman Returns as a Test (using AnyDVD and Clown BD) and it worked great on both the PS3 and Samsunug. It's just the lack of the Menus...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. -Jim-

-Jim- MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    #10 -Jim-, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2010

Why did you post this? I don't see anything on it working with BlueRay Movies. It's just for regular DVDs...

11. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    The problem with that is that the cost ratio doesn't work out at all and yes you can get a 25GB blu-ray for that much its just not worth it....
    If you were to do the same with a hard drive you would get more bang for your buck. Yes I have thought this out I have a Blu-ray/HD DVD burner....
    You can get more space if you use ripbot264 to convert it to h264 than you'll ever get with doing a 1:1 burn because you typically save about 10-15 GB in the most extreme cases....And no you would not loose any quality contrary to popular belief

12. -Jim-

-Jim- MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Smorgan,

The issue for me is not cost nor space => although I was cheap enough to wait until both the BlueRay Burner and BD-R were reasonable $$.

(I actually bought the BlueRay stuff so I could Burn my HD Home Movies from my Sony HDR SR-12 Video Camera.)

I need portability. While a media centre may work for you at home with processed Video you can't lend them to your Cousins to play at the Cabin and possibly never see the disks again. Or play on your nephew's new HP Laptop (He's getting one for his Birthday on Tuesday I was just told.) I figure even if I have to compress the video a little, as I've heard there are some that have the main movie larger than 25 Gigs, the loss of quality would not really be significant. It's all the Kids that really want the Menus!

13. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    O I see wrong context for me the loss won't be evident for you so it works...
    I was talking about ripping the blu-ray movies my bad...

14. digital-life

digital-life MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2010
    #14 digital-life, Apr 14, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
    There was a software for this that does it well will try remember.

15. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Ok the best way to back up Blu-rays is not Ifunia at all leey its actually AnyDVD HD. From there you can strip the protection on it and go straight to converting it to whatever format you want....

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  17. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Ummm dude if you make image of a De-crypted Blu-ray and then put it on a laptop and mount it with Daemon tools you can watch it anyway. However I love freeware stuff and even if I do have AnyDvd free is always better than something that has a price. I might have to take a look at that too...

18. Peppino

Peppino MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2010
    I've been using DVDFab 6.2.1.8 to copy Blu-ray films successfully. The killer is the blank BD-R disc. Cheapest one I can find is Maxell BD-R Blu-ray Write-Once Disc Single (1-4x recording speed) for $5.88 each.

19. sanzo9981

sanzo9981 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2011
    #20 sanzo9981, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Back up bluray disc to mkv with all content.ByteCopy is your best tool to rip and convert Blu-ray movies and DVDs to MKV container format with multiple audio tracks and subtitles included.
    Code:
    blu-ray-to-mkv.org