How to make Windows remember folsder window sizes, locations, and tab widths?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, Oct 14, 2015.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    How to make Windows remember positions and sizes for different folders windows, as well as, width of different columns for for those folders after a reboot?

Every time I open my Control Panel after reboot (with large icons enabled), I have to resize the window to see all the items at once. The same happens to the actual location of the windows, which I often have to move. The same happens with different tab widths within folders. Some folders contain files with very long names and I hate having to increase "File Name" tab width to see the whole file name. I do use CCleaner, but I have "Windows Size/Location Cache" item disabled - it doesn't get cleaned...

Any ideas how to make folder window size, location, and tab width stay / be remembered after reboots?

I am a LITTLE OCD...

2. myabc

myabc MDL Member

Apr 19, 2014
    with last 10565 version insider this problem that i posted monthes ago without solution, seems solved

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lt

lt MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2012
    try:

sevenforums.com/free-developer-programs-projects/40916-shellfolderfix-manage-folder-window-positions-size.html

4. S_SubZero

S_SubZero MDL Member

Sep 22, 2012
    This functionality was removed wayyyyy back in Windows 7.

In Vista and below, every window had it's own size and position memory. You could have a folder with 50 items open large and one with 3 items open small, and they would ALWAYS open this way, every single time, and they could be set to open next to each other, or across the screen from each other. Ever since Win7 that's been yanked out and replaced with a lame, generic stack style where each window opens just on top of the last, the same size as the previous windows.

This also applies to system panels like Control Panel. ; ;

5. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    THANKS! I cannot believe MS did this whole folder size reset thing on purpose! WTH?