How to make XP an upgrade version

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by r042wal, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r042wal

r042wal MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2009
    I have a TechNet version of XP Professional that will not allow you to do an upgrade to XP Home; you have to do a full innstall. Is there a way around this? I have the version copied to an external USB drive.

I know in Windows 7 after you copy your image to the hard drive and install from there, you can change the cversion.ini file but this does not exist in XP.

Thanks

2. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    You can't downgrade from Pro to Home.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. r042wal

r042wal MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2009
    I guess I didn't do a good job explaining myself. I have XP Home and I want to upgrade it to XP Pro. I have my TechNet copy of XP Pro but it not allow you to do an upgrade, only a full install.

4. r042wal

r042wal MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2009
    I knew there was an answer, it just wasn't in this forum. You edit the setupp.ini file in the i386 directory and change the PID= number.

5. emillim

emillim MDL Novice

May 27, 2009
    I assume you are running xp home oem .
    Just run xppro oem setup within windows environment you are able to upgrade
    to xppro .

6. r042wal

r042wal MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2009
    That was not what my post was about. As I posted earlier, I found the solution so consider the matter closed.

7. r042wal

r042wal MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2009
    Well lets see here, I've got a poster that didn't read my question properly telling me I can't downgrade to XP Home, another poster that read my question improperly telling me to use OEM Pro, and even a private e-mail telling me the only conditions I can upgrade and the conditions did not involve the TechNet edition.

Everyone seemed to have all the answers so who am I to interfere. I figured if they couldn't understand my post in the first place, what good is the solution when you don't understand the problem. Otherwise, I am all gung-ho for the sharing of information and ideas.

I am surprised no one here has run into the problem with Windows 7 because then you would know precisely what I am talking about.

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Lets see....

Your initial question was grammatically incorrect for the answer you wanted. You ask to upgrade to XP home from XP pro..this was answered. The "problem" for windows 7 has been addressed in the Windows 7 forum.

It may be best you take your information elsewhere, if the attitude is any example of this information you may share.

Ask intelligible questions, you may get intelligible answers...Thank you for your time..

:cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. r042wal

r042wal MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2009
    I guess depending on whether you came from a greater never of comprehension and reasoning, you could debate the grammatical structure.

In this case I had a version of TechNet XP that I wanted to 'act' upon XP Home. The action I referenced was 'upgrade' but the lights in the room dimmed.

Even after spelling it a second time for those less inclined, the bells never went off. If you feel it your duty to lead the pinions, I salute you sir!

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ r042wal, obviouslly you are the person not listening.:(