How to make your own Vista OEM DVD

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by urie, Jun 30, 2008.

1. sf.marcius

sf.marcius MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2010
    Question:
    I have a Lenovo PC that came with a Windows Vista Business 32bits license stick with its CD-KEY, glued on my PC case.
    However, the PC came with Windows XP Pro pre-installed (from Vista Business legal downgrade).
    Now I want to install Windows Vista Business and use that license, but I don't have the media.
    Also, I will put more memory on the PC, so it will get 4GB total.
    Can I use a x64 media with the lenovo.XRM-MS and use it with the 32bit Vista Business CD-KEY? Will it work?

I ask this cause I know that for retail versions of Vista, you use the same CD-KEY to both 32 and 64 bit DVDs. You just can't use both at same time. I would like to know if this apply to Royalty OEM too...

thanks, people!

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. sf.marcius

sf.marcius MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2010
    more questions

Hi, thanks for the help! :)
    but I have another questions:
    1. there is a way (program) to see if I have SLIC in bios from Ubuntu SO? 'Cause WinXP where too bloated with rubbish that I've formatted and installed Ubuntu.
    2. Where do I put that XXXXX-OEM-7332141-00143 thing?
    3. Using another CD-KEY other than mine, will make windows activate and update, but will it be really legal (in terms of law)? Whanna know this one cause I really wanna use a legal SO. If the 32bit version that came impress on the label glued on the case means I dont have the right to use 64 bit, so I will stick with 32 bits.

thanks again!

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    no you need a windows os system installed the check if your bios has slic.2.0 why dont you just install Vista Business x64 and use your key simple then you will know.

5. sf.marcius

sf.marcius MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2010
    I've tried using a original retail media of 32bit that a friend of mine have (that one with holograms and so, and SP1 included), but when it asked the CD-KEY, I've put that one on the label of the pc. Setup doesn't acept that key, saying it was wrong. Checked the CD-KEY so many times, nothing was wrong. So think it had to be a Lenovo OEM disc to accept that key. Well... I will try to do the lenovo OEM disk and install...
    If I make a disc with the lenovo.XRM-MS but without the PID.txt it will work, but will ask for the CD-KEY, am I correct? I'm asking this cause the PCs are from my job. there is a plenty of Lenovo Thinkcentres in there. If I could make a Lenovo OEM disc that asks for the CD-KEY, each one could use its own serial.

thanks again

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  7. sf.marcius

sf.marcius MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2010
    Hi again, Urie...

I've made my OEM Lenovo disc as you explained and it worked great. Used a Retail WinVista SP1 as source media and Added the folders/files as said in the first post.
    One last question. There is a (easy) way to include that OEM logo that would appear at the Computer properties window at the Install DVD?

thanks!

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    No problem we are here to help if possible.

10. kriket

kriket MDL Novice

May 3, 2010
    Hello,

How do I find this XRM-MS file needed for the activation?

I know I'm in the wrong thread but here's the situation. I have an Acer laptop, came with preinstalled Vista HP. I'm looking to upgrade to Windows 7 and activating it by myself (if you know what I mean).

Now, I understand there are 3 things I need in order to make this even possible. The License key, Product key, and the appropriate SLIC table (or whatever).

Can someone explain me is it even possible to find all these matching things for a model that did not ship with Windows 7? How do I check if the SLIC matches the one that is needed? And does the RTM ISOs available on torrents make it possible to create an OEM preactivated installation?

I know I should be posting this in Windows 7 forum, so I won't bother you here anymore. I am just curious how good are my chances to install and activate Windows 7 with all the various keys and information available here. (I mean what's the point of all this information if it weren't possible, right). I understand though that the chances are slim, to get all the matching information without paying.

So, the short (h)activation for dummies would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

11. wintech

wintech MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2009
    Thanks for very usefull post. I'm looking for similar info for Windows 7. Would you please help me to find it.
    I spent quite some time to search for it on this forum but, no luck.

12. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
  13. gstilwell2010

gstilwell2010 MDL Novice

May 9, 2010
    i have some downloaded copys of windows vista and xp and 7 if ur still on here i give them to u ok reply ?????

14. Wonder.Wonder.Wonder

Jun 2, 2010
  15. zerocool213

zerocool213 MDL Junior Member

Apr 17, 2009
    HEY URIE IF YOU SAVED A PID.txt in sources just like

[PID]
    Value=

as example would you be able to install anykey with installing all the certs &bin files in the oem folder which automatically detects the bios string.

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Just removing the PID.txt file lets you select any version of vista to install also you don't need the bin files just certificates i'm almost certain there are script on this forum for vista multi OEM i know there is for windows 7.

17. leshan

leshan MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    anybody please post a Lenovo Vista x64 ultimate US-EN version of OEM source file?
    Thanks