How to make your own Vista OEM DVD

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by urie, Jun 30, 2008.

1. CanutoOnline

CanutoOnline MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2010
    Hi, I have a Vista original product key but I don´t have the installation dvd. I want to make one but my pc is a clone and doesn´t have SLIC in Bios (I understand nothing about this matter), can I create my dvd without it? Please tell me how to do that. I run an application to check the bios and I got a message "dump error, SLIC table not found".
    I don't know what that's mean.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You can download vista and install it with your key.

search google for
    and you will find links.

3. cleanupwin7

cleanupwin7 MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2010
    Ok I am stuck here:
    Take your OEM XRM-MS file that matches your SLIC in Bios and copy the file to OEM folder

How do I know which XRM file I need, and how do I know what my SLIC is in the bios of the machine.

Sorry for noob questions, I am trying to search to learn

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. cleanupwin7

cleanupwin7 MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2010
    Ok thanks... that seems to clear it up... just to clarify...

I have already downloaded these files for the toshiba I am working on....
    TOSHIBA-TOSQCI-2.0.XRM-MS
    TOSHIBA-TOSINV-2.0.XRM-MS
    TOSHIBA-TOSHIBA-2.0.XRM-MS
    TOSHIBA-TOSCPL-2.0.XRM-MS
    TOSHIBA-TOSASU-2.0.XRM-MS

When I run that SLIC toolkit I should either see TOSQCI, TOSINV, TOSHIBA, TOSCPL, or TOSASU as the SLIC dump... then I just use the corresponding .XRM-MS file into the OEM folder?

I can also technically activate using the vbs commands I saw elsewhere using the key and XRM files, right? No need to re-install windows vista?

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ cleanupwin7, correct no need to reinstall I would however still make your self an OEM SLP DVD save you any future problems just install and you will be pre-activated.

7. tia

tia MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2010
    How to make iso of my own Vista or Vista SP1 DVD, by downloading any Vista version?

8. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    What?

You will be downloading an ISO.

9. tia

tia MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2010
    guide kind of confusing. I thought make your own vista iso was create a empty iso with ultraiso then add 2 files into it. I have HP vista home premium 3 recovery dvd, in the source folder, only has a wim file. dont know where to find xmr-ms

10. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Mount the WIM and find the cert in the system32\oem folder

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. keplenk

keplenk MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2011
    I don't have a retail dvd, please help.

Hi all,

Great forum :)

I need to fix my dads computer and I want to install a fresh non-bloated Vista x64 on it. It is an HP laptop that came with Vista x64 Home Premium pre-installed. I just want to wipe it all out and start fresh using the same OS version. I've read all 21 pages of this thread and some things are not clear to me yet.

Having to read this guide, I think I need a "Vista RETAIL DVD" which is x64 Home Premium(is that right?). Unfortunately, I don't have a retail iso around. I could see that a post regarding downloading it from a torrent site but I was kinda afraid. Before, my idiot cousin downloaded a game in my network and our ISP sent us a letter. After that incident, it was forbidden in my house to download from torrent sites unless it is legal (like Linux ISOs). I just don't want any trouble from my ISP with that regards.

However, my cousin (the one who download that game) handed me a Vista x86+x64 which was made by "Orbit" which I assume is an illegal copy (he swears that he did not download it from my network, lol). I think that DVD includes x86 and x64 all in one and everything is PREACTIVATED. I actually refuse to use this since my dads laptop has a legal Vista license anyway. So I figure that since I don't have a retail DVD around, maybe I can modify this Orbit DVD to make it legal when I install it in my dads laptop.

I actually browsed the DVD and found the $OEM$ folder.

It has these:

G:\SOURCES\$OEM$\$$\SETUP\SCRIPTS

and

G:\SOURCES\$OEM$\$$\RESOURCES\THEMES

The SCRIPTS folder contains a bunch of files like BOOTINST.EXE, BOOTREST.EXE, EDITIONCHECK.EXE, GRLDR, OEMCERT.XRM-MS, SETUPCOMPLETE.CMD, UNINSTALL.CMD

I noticed that there is this OEMCERT.XRM-SM is there. Which made me think of just replacing that file with the one on my laptop.

Anyway, here are my questions:

1) Can I use the Orbit DVD and modify it instead of a Retail untouched DVD?

2) Can I just replace that "OEMCERT.XRM-MS" from the Orbit DVD with the one that I'll get from my dads HP laptop? Then place the PID.txt on the sources folder?

3) Or should I just delete the whole $OEM$ folder from the Orbit DVD and just replace it with the suggested one here (G:\$OEM$\$$\SYSTEM32\OEM) - ofcourse, PID.txt and my own XRM-MS file placed in there

4) If the answer to question 1 is a NO .. Is there a legal Vista Retail I can download from (x64 Home Premium)? Without paying anything? Since I'll be using the serial on the laptop sticker, I just need the retail dvd thats it.

I don't have the laptop right now but I'll start working on it in about 4 hours. I just want to be ready before my dads comes in because I only have 2 hours to fix it.

Thank you and more power!

12. keplenk

keplenk MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2011
    Hey thanks for the link! I could see there are 2 x64 Sp2s there.

What is the difference between the one with an "n" and the one without?

Is the same as the European N version? (IE and media player not preinstalled?)

Thanks again.

13. wchu903

wchu903 MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2011
    help

I was trying to reinstall my os on my dell laptop by using the recovery image on the recovery drive. however it came up an error during the process. I think my recovery image is corrupted and I dont know where I can get the vista home premium oem x64 iso, so that i can burn on the dvd and reinstall it using the disk. Any help is appreciated.

14. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Sangalaviral has vista SP2 iso's, look for him and enterupload.

Edit: Or you couldve been abit smarter and looked 1 post above yours.

15. wchu903

wchu903 MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2011
    I tried to reinstall my system using the retail version of vista x64 home premium dvd on my dell laptop and I put in my product key, it said invalid. I guess my product key works on oem version and it doesnt work on retail version. i guess the one he has is retail?

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    The serial on your laptop is useless that is just COA key you need to use OEM SLP serial and Dell certificate. ( If you Dell laptop came with vista and has SLIC 2.0 in bios.)

17. ewf45

ewf45 MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2011
    OEM key doesnt work on Acer extensa 4420-5963 O

I found the post pasted above in a micro soft forum, I pasted because I having a similar problem that I cant resolve, I'm fixing a laptop Acer extensa 4420-5963 I had to wipe out the partitions and the operative system ,so then I did a clean installation of windows vista home premium 32 bit with a oem windows vista 32bit dell cd, I used the product key of the bottom of the laptop but it says that the windows key is incorrect and it cant be validated, can somebody help me validate it without use any crack please ???

18. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  19. ewf45

ewf45 MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2011