How to make your own Vista OEM DVD

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by urie, Jun 30, 2008.

1. General-X

General-X MDL Junior Member

May 12, 2009
    During installation, after I enter the key and press next, it comes up with "WIndows cannot open the file E:\Sources\Install.wim" during installation.
    I did not edit it, it seem to be a common problem if you look it up on the internet, maybe it's related to my DVD LG drive.

2. General-X

May 12, 2009
    Ok I made it work, I changed the media brand, and changed from Magic ISO to Ultra ISO, so don't know which of the 2 was the problem.

3. General-X

May 12, 2009
    When doing step 3:

3: Take your OEM XRM-MS file that matches your key and copy the file to OEM folder

Does the file have to be a specific name ? like oemcert.xml, or oem.xrm-ms ?

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    No..Call it whatever you want.XRM-MS

:D:D:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ 911medic, nice one thank god for file hashes you know what i mean:D

6. General-X

May 12, 2009
    Another question in customizing.

During the install I want it to ask for the product key, which it currently doesn't.

But after the install I still want it to be activated without manually applying the oem.xrm-ms files through command prompt.

Will it work if I simply skip the PID.txt part ?

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ General-X, i have done it by adding key to Autounattend.xml so i think it will work by just typing key in when setup asks you because pid.txt file has been removed.

8. arismfg

arismfg MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2009
    i want to make an vista ultimate sp2 x64 dvd to alienware oem

i made all the steps described on first post. so i just add the source folder to vista root dvd and then install it?

Urie can you check the files for a while please if they are correct? however as i told i dont know if the slic will have dell info or alienware as we discussed. i will check it when i get the machine using everest (enter acpi etc).

also what to do for unattended installation?

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Almost ok just remove the pid.txt file from SOURCES\$OEM$\$$\SYSTEM32\OEM folder but leave the pid.txt file in sources.

When you get your machine go to C:\Windows\System32\OEM and copy that certificate to your SOURCES\$OEM$\$$\SYSTEM32\OEM then you are guaranteed to have correct one :D

Also your machine may come with an OEM dvd you will have to wait and see if it does just copy the $OEM$ folder from that then you will have all your logos e.c.t if you want them

10. arismfg

Mar 9, 2009
    lool ok i forgot the pid.txt inside the oem folder. yeah exactly what i was thinking. i will take the whole oem folder from the recovery disk and just use my pid.txt file with the ultimate key right? the only reason i have to know if the slic is of dell or alienware is to select the correct key for the pid.txt. but i can be sure for this too when i see the current key for home premium on the restore dvd pid.txt file.

this thread is very cool. no cracks . just pure activation! great!

and if someone wants it i can upload it too.

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ arismfg, Yes.

12. arismfg

Mar 9, 2009
    ok i hope that the ultimate key for alienware is for 64bit too. i will see that from the key that exists for x64 home premium.

by the way does every pid.txt key work only for english language of the specific vista version or it can work with any language?

thanks again.

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    No worries key for vista x86 and x32 work for both as reguards to PID.txt this is just the key you would use to install but when you use PID.txt file and certificate in $OEM$ folder you don't have to manually activate + only for OEM's

As reguards to laguage i honestly don't know you can install vista english and add language pack but in saying that i think you will be ok with serial let me know once you do install.

14. arismfg

Mar 9, 2009
    sure! my lappy comes tomorrow. yes i can install a language pack. i was just wondering if i can put my mother tongue at once. i will make a modified dvd with unattended key installation, including all oem info (cert and key), and all inf files from the drivers i downloaded.

thanks again. i will let you know.

15. MikeyHypocrisy

MikeyHypocrisy MDL Junior Member

May 28, 2009
    Hey Im just wondering, I just got done making a 64 bit version of Vista Ultimate disc, for a future pc I am currently in process of making I was wondering if I am able to test the disc via 32 bit pc via virtual pc?

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    MS virtual PC comes in x86 and x64 but VMWare Supports both 32-bit and 64-bit host and guest operating systems. so you should be ok with that:)

17. MikeyHypocrisy

MikeyHypocrisy MDL Junior Member

May 28, 2009
    Thank you.

18. arismfg

Mar 9, 2009
    Urie everything went fine! i installed ultimate x64 using the cert from home premium and the alienware key for ultimate and not even asked for key. it was activated when installed! however even though i copied the whole oem folder the logo, wallpaper and the other oem info were not installed and i had to do it manually with other apps. if you have any solution for this please tell me.

thanks!

19. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Im not sure why your logos e.c.t were not copied over you will have to look at the scripts in the oem folder to see what they do. Not all manufactures use the same method.

20. arismfg

Mar 9, 2009
    its ok i have done it manually by taking the logos, icons etc from oem folder and using programms like winbubble 1.76, tuneup utilities etc. now its really OEM! thanks!

how to see and edit what the scripts do?