How-To: move GRLDR to a partition unaccessable to Windows

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by nononsence, Nov 20, 2009.

1. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    #1 nononsence, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. ebeldamasta

ebeldamasta MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2009
    is it possible to move/change setting of GRLDR from DAZ lo@der to run from GRUB within ubuntu?

3. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    I have a very fond feeling that even though linux partitions are not available (without installing/enabling some additional components) for users of Windows from under Windows OS, this doesn't mean that Windows OS itself can't read them silently, so to say.

4. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Theoretically true, I think it'd be outside their bounds to be checking non-MS partitions. Besides there's still plenty of workarounds: Boot CD, ejected after system starts, boot USB-flash, etc.

5. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    I think you could move the loader file on to the unbuntu file system and
    add an entry to the menu.lst and it may work, im not much of a linux user
    so thats kinda a guess.

6. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    #6 nononsence, Nov 21, 2009
    (OP)
    you are right, under linux I would use a command like

Code:
    cat /dev/sda1 | grep "some_bit_of_code"

Im sure something similar could be done with windows. this is more a
    security through obscurity thing (not many people will bother to move
    GRLDR to a ext2 filesystem so MS may not look for it)

from MS's point of view finding and deleting the file is kinda pointless because
    the user will just reinstall it, it would be better to examine the memory space
    for anything hinkie/non-standard and fail to acitvate. But until MS acts we
    really have no idea what their stragety will be.

7. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Come on - I can download a Linux file system utility for Windows from the net - there are hundreds of them - do you really think M$ don't know how to read all open source file systems ???

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    #8 nononsence, Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
    (OP)
  9. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    The thing is M$ do not need to delete any file to render any system inoperable - I merely wanted to say that if M$ want to enforce their antipiracy they will and I doubt it will be easy to defeat whatever they choose to do.

They removed the hardnosed "system shutdown" in Vista and replaced it with the "annoyance" system. I believe they only did this because Vista did not sell and businesses refused to have anything to do with an OS that shut out any user - after all legitimate licensed users occasionally have problems with activation.

If Windows 7 is a commercial success they may harden their antipiracy and disabling hacks such RemoveWAT or Chew-WGA will be their first options, loaders may be second although they didn't target loaders with Vista to my knowledge - they simply disabled Paradox's Royal.sys and Timerstop - which proves that they can easily disable a hacked system no matter what the "authors" of these hacks claim.

Loaders would have to be attacked by something detecting the loader but trying to hide it won't work just like some tried to hide "royal.sys" in Vista which failed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Thank you for your continuous effort, Nononsence!!! Appreciated!!!

As a lay person I have a simple question: if we simply stop automatic updates in W7 and use the updates that are posted here, after one you, really knowledgeable guys, mark them as safe - is there a real need for all these additional measures?

Please, don't get me wrong: I understand that the continuous testing and improving upon what has already been done is necessary. So, I am not questioning that at all! The quest for knowledge and some other issues/principles is not what I am asking.

The Q is much simpler, for some of us who do not have all your knowledge and confidence to mess with it all the time....

Thanx and keep up the great work!!!!:)

11. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    #11 nononsence, Nov 27, 2009
    (OP)